A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Enrico,

Your board is a very nice build. I like the possebility the layout gives for tweaking, also nice the convecrion holes for cooling the shunts, and the way you can adjust the CCS from the side of the boards.

Unfortunately we were not able to audition your buffer board, James his board was not completely ready and we listened to your board with the unbuffered output because Doede did not have the +\- 12v supply at hand.

So we will need you guys to inform us of the sound signature.

Regards,

Thanks Stephan,
As I said the main goal was to make the Doede design tweakable easily and I think we don't miss the point :)

About the sound between three of us we have different tastes. I prefer much the four boards configuration. The 3D image is simply amazing and the sound is more analitic and fast (if I can use this term) than the one board with the buffer that is a little more warm but, at least for me taste, less focused.
But I also think that depend also in the overall setup of the hi-fi chain...

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Doede that gave us all the opportunity to enjoy its design, allowing us to build a magnificent dac

Regards,
Enrico

Buffer board availability?

HI Enrico ( and everyone else)
I am very new here but have read as much as i could. I am waiting for my 1st dddac board with great excitement. Actually stumbled on the main dddac incidentally, as I was looking for a way to do something with 2 dac boards with PCM1704 dacs that i salvaged from Primare CD31 players. Was looking for modules to cut out df1706 and opamps in circuit.
The amount of work that has gone into the dddac and ongoing refinement has me second guessing my original idea and sticking to the dddac.

Enrico do I understand correctly that you designed buffer board, and other useful CCS boards? Is there a way that i could buy some from you, or have I missed out on the opportunity?

Thanks Stefan(12) :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
HI Enrico ( and everyone else)
I am very new here but have read as much as i could. I am waiting for my 1st dddac board with great excitement. Actually stumbled on the main dddac incidentally, as I was looking for a way to do something with 2 dac boards with PCM1704 dacs that i salvaged from Primare CD31 players. Was looking for modules to cut out df1706 and opamps in circuit.
The amount of work that has gone into the dddac and ongoing refinement has me second guessing my original idea and sticking to the dddac.

Enrico do I understand correctly that you designed buffer board, and other useful CCS boards? Is there a way that i could buy some from you, or have I missed out on the opportunity?

Thanks Stefan(12) :)

Hi Stefan,

There are still buffer and CCS bare boards available... if you need the parts you should contact carlsors.

Please proceed with your request in this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-upgraded-single-board-pcm1794-nos-dddac.html where you will found all the relevant information

Regards,
Enrico

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Enrico, very nice board lay-out and builds. Thanks for sharing these pictures! It must have been hard keeping that a secret.. ;)

Hi stijn, thanks for your comment.

Actually yes, was quite hard keeping the secret :shhh:

I want to clarify that even if it is not more a "secret" the EFR_DAC board is for our private use and is NOT available for sell.
I hope that all you guys understand and agreed with me that as enthusiastic DIYers we can tweak and modify as we like but we should never forget taht the original design is from Doede :cool:

Regards,
Enrico

I have been following this thread, the single board thread, the group buy thread for the reclocker board for quite a while. I have a single board dac for experimenting a 4 board dac with Sowters for listening pleasure. I have yet to install and assemble my ccs boards on the single board dac. I want to play around with choke power supplies at some point. Enrico, how and when can I obtain some of the EFR_DAC boards! Wow. Experimenting and diy just got a whole lot easier. My single board dac has cut traces and all the signs of a diyer gone crazy,
Mike

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have been following this thread, the single board thread, the group buy thread for the reclocker board for quite a while. I have a single board dac for experimenting a 4 board dac with Sowters for listening pleasure. I have yet to install and assemble my ccs boards on the single board dac. I want to play around with choke power supplies at some point. Enrico, how and when can I obtain some of the EFR_DAC boards! Wow. Experimenting and diy just got a whole lot easier. My single board dac has cut traces and all the signs of a diyer gone crazy,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I am sorry but, as I said in my previous post, the EFR_DAC boards are NOT for sell.
Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Enrico

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
new boards

Hello,
there will be an updated board that has discrete shunt and/or room for a third party shunt and pin20 modification but it will take some time he did tell me.
so if you are planning to spend some extra money on fine tuning it would be clever to wait untill it is available. Having the original board with all the suggested modifications will make it look so ""messy"" to me.
getting the future board maybe will give you the better looks and sonics as well.
greetings, Edward

if you are planning to spend some extra money on fine tuning it would be clever to wait untill it is available. Having the original board with all the suggested modifications will make it look so ""messy"" to me.
getting the future board maybe will give you the better looks and sonics as well.
greetings, Edward
Don't be so scared! :)
Just start with the mainboard and 1 dac deck. I think you will see what even in the standard form, it is very good indeed. This way you can decide for yourself what you like and don't like. If you want to keep your boards clean and unmolested, that's up to you of course, but at least you can be joining us and enjoying the sweet music while you wait for the next versions to come along :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Don't be so scared! :)
Just start with the mainboard and 1 dac deck. I think you will see what even in the standard form, it is very good indeed. This way you can decide for yourself what you like and don't like. If you want to keep your boards clean and unmolested, that's up to you of course, but at least you can be joining us and enjoying the sweet music while you wait for the next versions to come along :)

+ 1 :)

Edward, you've been "advising" us with that same comment for more the half a year now, while remaining on the fence.

As I thought was know to you, DIY is about learning through trial and error.., so that first time right DIY dac does not exist, I don't think you'll ever have that cake and eat it at the same time. Sorry.

Last edited: