A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

As a happy DDDAC1543 MK2 24full kit user, with JRiver Media Player (WASAPI) and a Squeezebox Duet connected via I2S, I have been looking at upgrading to 24/196.

I'm using a Synology NAS with Logitech Media Player and now have replaced the Duet with a Rapsberry PI and Hifiberry DAC running PiCorePlayer. My plan was to give both my kids a rpi with hifiberry dac, but I was very surprised with the audio quality of this simple solution.

Hello!
If you are using a Synology NAS... it can be much easier and better sounding: just add a Xmos/Usb with i2s output like the WaveIO direkt with the USB Port of the NAS. After trying Raspi/Cubitruck/ PC in different setups together with the WaveIo... a Synology DS 114 beats them all...

kimd regards
Limbik

Yeah, as Jean-Denis says, I've used 2 x 2,200uf after the first choke and 2 x 2,200uf after the second choke for now, but you can tweak the figures about a bit and see what you like. I'm rebuilding my power supply soon into a new case so might change stuff about a bit then. I used Panasonic FC.

The chokes are Lundahl LL1694, I got them from Charlie at bigbearaudio.com. Something like £100+ vat for the 2

Can someone post a circuit diagram of the choke PSU so costly mistakes are not made please?

I got the S03 isolator/reclocker board to work with the a BBB and the DDDAC. I'm chuffed!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb-159.html#post4176261

btw.., try emailing Guido on ormada@tentlabs.com, he replied to me via this address recently. I'm sure he's doing as much as he can within 24hours in a day.

Cool Stijn! So my potato chip has arrived as you were lying behind the door waiting for the postman ;)

Interested to compare this with the rpi setup.

Regards,

9a91453faabcf8e213905415f42a41df.jpg

Hi enrico
Here's a photo of one of the regulators in-situ. Not sure if it's clear enough to see what you need to see. If not I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

It seems like the current setting is to low. Tou need to set the current at a level approx. 5-10mA higer than your source is drawing. If you draw more the voltage will drop.

You have a different layout than the, older, board I use. I have two resister spots that can be used to set the current. The two are parrallel.
Set Current equals 0,6/resistor value on my shunts.

Regards,

For those who are still on passive IV output stage with just resistors and cap, do you experience situations where DDDAC can sound beautiful going into some preamp and sound really bad going into another?

While my 4 deck DDDAC sounds beautiful going into my modded Naim preamp (solid state), it sound really bad going into 2 of my friend tube preamps. While I know this may be due to matching issue but the gap is just way too big that I think the passive IV DDDAC is less versatile in pairing up with different equipments. Anyone experience this and also went on to solve this "issue" by adding transformer output stage or buffer stage?

Anyone using the Raspberry Pi B+ I2S out to the DDDAC without any re-clocking? What do you think to the sound?

Hi Ian,

Have a 4 deck (red m-board) and for some months using rpi B + and I2S and it sounds nice. In my set up this is a bit nicer then the usb wave io. The pi B+ is nicer for me then laptop/W7/foobar.
It is running volumio and setting on hifiberry. I needed to update the rpi B + before it could run. I am using 20cm i2S cable and it works. I cannot compare to other set ups.

I am actually switching between cinemags (more body/stage) and straight pos/neg (more muscially involving) according to my ears. At the moment I prefer pos/neg.

best
Paul

does anyone know for certain if the dddac 1794 is capable of playing 384kpbs input?
I was pretty sure I had it working a while ago via the waveio with the updated firmware, but I'm doubting myself now. The pcm1794 datasheet says 192kbps max, but possibly removing all the filters changes this?

384Khz and WaveIO/Fifo

does anyone know for certain if the dddac 1794 is capable of playing 384kpbs input?
I was pretty sure I had it working a while ago via the waveio with the updated firmware, but I'm doubting myself now. The pcm1794 datasheet says 192kbps max, but possibly removing all the filters changes this?

Hi James,

I have had troubles playing 384 via Ian's Fifo reclocker, using it's SPDIF frontend for having some extra inputs, to isolated waveIO to DDDac1794.
Ian found out, being the very helpful guy he is, that the culprit could be a timing problem in the waveIO, wich could be solved by, amongst others, software.
Lorien adapted the firmware of the waveIO as a result of these findings.
Since that time I am able to play 384 files, though when playing through the SPDIF's front-end of Ian's Fifo I still have no 'clean' playback. Some tracks do fine, most are disturbed.

When I make a direct connection, from the WaveIO straight into the DDDac1794, with the ribbon cable, 384Khz is 100% ok, at least by 'ear'!
So the answer should be YES, the 1794 is capable of playing 384kbps.:)

Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:
Hi James,

I have had troubles playing 384 via Ian's Fifo reclocker, using it's SPDIF frontend for having some extra inputs, to isolated waveIO to DDDac1794.
Ian found out, being the very helpful guy he is, that the culprit could be a timing problem in the waveIO, wich could be solved by, amongst others, software.
Lorien adapted the firmware of the waveIO as a result of these findings.
Since that time I am able to play 384 files, though when playing through the SPDIF's front-end of Ian's Fifo I still have no 'clean' playback. Some tracks do fine, most are disturbed.

When I make a direct connection, from the WaveIO straight into the DDDac1794, with the ribbon cable, 384Khz is 100% ok, at least by 'ear'!
So the answer should be YES, the 1794 is capable of playing 384kbps.:)

Cheers,
Ed
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought, but it was a while ago, so started to doubt myself.
Cheers
James

Hello
Finally I went thrugh all posts :). Not easy but very interesting. Most of you say the biggest pros are "analog like" sound and musicality. I am interested which "market" dacs you compared with ddac? It would give me some reference point for ddac. I am very interested in this dac but i could not find this information.
Regards
Slawek

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

wrong link?
I use this power supply for feeding 5v to my rPi and s03 reclocker
4.17uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3V/5V 1Ax2 - DIYINHK

For the raw power supply for my DDDAC, I use an unregulated power supply which consists of only a transformer, a couple of rectifier diodes, 2 chokes, some caps and a bleeder resistor. This forms an LCLC (choke, capacitor, choke, capacitor) or 'Choke input' power supply. These tend to be found in valve amps usually, but makes an excellent low impedance raw supply for the shunt regs.

Have you tried a separate ps each for reclocker and rpi?
might be worth doing a battery test on as a recover could be very sensitive to noise

Have you tried a separate ps each for reclocker and rpi?
might be worth doing a battery test on as a recover could be very sensitive to noise
It's a dual power supply, which uses a single 2 output transformer, but has 2 unconnected regulator stages which don't share a gnd. Otherwise the Isolator in the reclocker would be pointless.

What's new with you? Any changes recently?

It's a dual power supply, which uses a single 2 output transformer, but has 2 unconnected regulator stages which don't share a gnd. Otherwise the Isolator in the reclocker would be pointless.

What's new with you? Any changes recently?

Oh yes I think I've one of them supplies too

Done very little this last while sort of taking a break
was playing with a turntable over christmas decided that that's a pain in the **** too
so I restarted into computer audio again trying to make my oscillator upgrades a little more fool proof
so I can actually have a pc source that is in a box and not sprawled out all over the floor in a mass of wires :)
When I've that sorted ill get back to the 1794
seems to me the dddac pcb boards could do with a refresh

Any excitement with you?

Oh yes I think I've one of them supplies too

Done very little this last while sort of taking a break
was playing with a turntable over christmas decided that that's a pain in the **** too
so I restarted into computer audio again trying to make my oscillator upgrades a little more fool proof
so I can actually have a pc source that is in a box and not sprawled out all over the floor in a mass of wires :)
When I've that sorted ill get back to the 1794
seems to me the dddac pcb boards could do with a refresh

Any excitement with you?
Sounds good. Very few changes here. Started to look at how to tweak my amps.
The buffer, ccs and clock delay mods really elevated my dddac to a level I'm very happy with indeed and I haven't felt the need to make any changes for a while so it's time to commit and put it all neatly into a couple of cases

Putting projects into cases nearly becomes a running joke here

Dunno much bout valve amps but keeping the signal wire short incl interconnects and using pure silver in Teflon or cotton or both as I do will increase clarity and resolution
Though signal cable routing in a valve amp might me more difficult

Which CCS are you using?
I haven't tested anything since the 2sk208 r's
The Alternatives were starting to look more complicated than I liked
I'll likely build a 1794 dac from scratch with what we learnt here
Will be much more compact and simple

Putting projects into cases nearly becomes a running joke here

Dunno much bout valve amps but keeping the signal wire short incl interconnects and using pure silver in Teflon or cotton or both as I do will increase clarity and resolution
Though signal cable routing in a valve amp might me more difficult

Which CCS are you using?
I haven't tested anything since the 2sk208 r's
The Alternatives were starting to look more complicated than I liked
I'll likely build a 1794 dac from scratch with what we learnt here
Will be much more compact and simple
Tell me about it! But I have some extra motivation that I'm taking my DDDAC on a flight soon and it's easier to explain a piece of hifi kit if it doesn't look like a madman has created a bomb [emoji14]

Nothing too serious on the amps front, just maybe adding a good heater supply for the 300bs and updating a cap or 2

CCS, I'm currently using 2sk246y but I have some 2sk208-o on the way too.
I don't imagine it can be much better here without doing something dramatically different. I'm still very intrigued to see how it's been done for the mk4 rakk dac...