A new speaker opinion poll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For me, there was an unsettling deja vu with the design. And then I realized it reminded me of an Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) pc I used to have:

41jpvrHCtfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or sometimes a portable space heater:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And you are more upscale than Logitech, so don't look like them:

Logitech-Z520_1.jpg

Basically, too many reminders of plastic appliances. The grille as mentioned before is distracting. The heat fins on back are also too much and not needed if going class D. Class AB might need it - but make sure you really want class AB as that gets pretty warm and not sure folks want a heater on their desk.

Last edited:
There's your marketing right there. Possible names:

SOLID Bass (make SOLID an acronym that roughly describes the tech and project goals)

MOVE Air (make MOVE an acronym, as above)

If the keyword is an acronym, avoid cute things like M.O.V.E. That's hopelessly dorky and does not convey the right image of seriousness. It reeks of cheap Hollywood marketing, which isn't the image you want. You want the image of crisp high-tech backed by heavy-duty engineering.

As for the grille, it needs to be functional if it's there at all. Curved horizontal bars that are matte-black, perhaps? The echo of a Model A Ford chrome grille is not helpful to the high-tech seriousness of the product.

That's the angle I'd work on ... 21st century space-tech rockin' hard in your living room. This is not an exaggeration; it couldn't have been built in 1999. Sell what's unique and sets it apart from the competition. The looks are part of the story, so a touch of futuristic aerodynamics are good.

+1.. or +2.. or +3.

:up:

For me, there was an unsettling deja vu with the design. And then I realized it reminded me of an Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) pc I used to have:

41jpvrHCtfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or sometimes a portable space heater:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And you are more upscale than Logitech, so don't look like them:

Logitech-Z520_1.jpg

Basically, too many reminders of plastic appliances.
My exact response to seeing the speaker in the OP.

I always prefer grill cloth to looking at drivers.

Kindhornman,

SFF PC was one of the first things that came to my mind too when I saw the design... :)

Just another thought - can you incorporate some metal accents into the design - e.g. can be a band around the base? Couple of designs from B&W here for your reference. Last time I checked Apple Stores sell these too.

Cleverly used, a metal band/part can break the monotony of a design and make it look more expensive/attractive/well proportioned. Just make sure it's well finished and expensive looking.

Planning on a remote control for volume? Can come in handy, specially for non-audiophile types for whom any convenience is king; or some app based feature where and iOS or Android phone can control the volume (or even change a few DSP settings) will be even better ... additional cost though.

Attachments

• MM-1_Black_ON.jpg
    MM-1_Black_ON.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 28
  • A7.jpg
    A7.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Zman,
I will think about what you are saying about a metallic highlight. In the meantime here is a picture of the round drivers in a traditional box with the grills removed. This isn't the Be tweeter but it would fit in the same space. I couldn't find any of the face-plates that I had for those tweeter but there were plates that matched the color of the gold on the cone frame. This is Baltic Birch with a clear coat finish. There is actually a port that is on the back of the enclosure along with the binding posts. The cabinet is about 1 1/3 cubic foot volume.

Attachments

• monitor cabinet with wood veneer..png
    monitor cabinet with wood veneer..png
    777 KB · Views: 71
Kindhornman,

For a more traditional box, I am partial towards boat hull shaped profiles like the ones Sonus Faber does. Understand that you are not targeting the fashion audio segment... but if you are also considering a more traditional form factor, maybe a simpler, more industrial modern take on the hull/curved body?

Attachments

• GUARNIERI EVOLUTION GRAPHITE-420x420.jpg
    GUARNIERI EVOLUTION GRAPHITE-420x420.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG-20140330-WA0002_zps4bc0655a.jpg
    IMG-20140330-WA0002_zps4bc0655a.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 835e5a4d-d23f-4b83-38f1-70e17a7ddda9.jpg
    835e5a4d-d23f-4b83-38f1-70e17a7ddda9.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 157
Right now i am concentrating on one project though.

:nod: Smart.

Honestly - the original design has real potential, it just needs cleaner lines.

Refine the look you have down to several iterations and then present them here and elsewhere and see what people do and don't like about them, rinse and repeat a few times until you have something that looks reasonably decent to everyone and that doesn't provoke a real "hate" response to all but a few "outliers".

Direct from Silicon Valley........Most Apple computers use brushed Aluminum.

The smooth baffle rounds on the Kii cabinet are the best match to Apple product design. Glue+wrap brushed aluminum color vinyl around an MDF/Plywood Kii shape cabinet, and just dull-black paint the top-bottom-back MDF. No need to fill-prime-paint-sand-paint-sand-paint for a satin black finish. Save the cost and fixed-commitments of plastic tooling. Dull black vinyl would be a good second color for the generic PCs.

You could build 0.5cuft 2-way ported, and a larger sealed 1.5cuft 3-way with two 8" SB23NRXS45 side-side woofers. Take advantage of Kii product marketing investment$.

Have you built any clever 7" coaxial speakers?

Moray,
Thank you for the comments. I would of course with certain colored cabinets try and match the color of the screws to match the enclosure so they virtually disappear. With the prevalence of comments I'm thinking to discard the wire form grill all together. I am working on a design for a cloth grill that will have the contour of the wire-form so it will go with the look of the enclosure. I was working on the concept of the stand today, I can have just about any shape extruded in aluminum for the upright and am considering how I want to do the base plate and the plate that the speaker will sit on. I want to add to the look and not detract from it so it may take me awhile before I'm satisfied with the look. It would be easy to add a wire track in the extrusion for any interconnect cabling. Some may just leave them as wireless as that is part of the concept at this point. I personally think that the optimum connections will always be wires and not any type of wireless method at least with what is available today.

It looks too plasticy to me, and weird shaped. It reminded me of a PC computer case that gamers might like. I would prefer a Corinthian or Roman columb version of the Linkwitz LX-mini, with a Peerless TG9 mid/tweeter instead of the Seas Linkiwitz uses that only goes to 14kHZ, and I'd somehow make the tweeter part more aesthetically/artistically pleasing. Maybe a sphere instead of a sideways can. Those ancient Roman columbs look great to me, and there's a place in southern Oregon that makes them, but probably not real cheap.

Once a speaker is bigger than a "bookshelf" box, it probably ought to be considered an art object. Also, IMO, once a speaker costs over about $1K, it better be an art object. Women may have a better sense of what looks fashionable. Personally, I like antique art, Deco and Nuveau, and never cared much for "modern" art, but that's just me. The Startrek or Starwars crowd might like the look of your speaker.

Wireless would be nice, where you just plug it in the wall for AC. But then it needs to come with some kind of master control center that sends out the correct channel to each speaker. The control center could have good tone controls which could be a big plus if done right.

Past a certain point, I don't know if most people are all that picky about the sound quality. I think its value as an art object will be the more powerful selling device. Rich people are usually very egotistical, and want to be able to show it off and brag about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.