A fully submersible headset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I'm new here. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with overcoming an issue.
A machine I use for work has an audio and ID set, the audio represents a number on the screen. If its windy and/or underwater its almost impossible to hear so you have to completely rely on seeing the screen which isn't always possible. There's a dedicated waterproof headset already but the're like $200-300, the waterproof cable by itself is only $50.

My question is, is there any basic way to have audio transmitted via a 1/4" jack while still being fully waterproof? I'll be needing it at 1-3 meters.

I'm completely new to this, the closest I've come to a sound engineer is soldering a new plug to a speaker lol. Is there anything I should take in to consideration before attempting to make this?

Thanks!

I assume the machine has some kind of waterproof connector and this is what is used by the expensive waterproof headset, and you can buy a $50 cable which converts this waterproof plug to a normal 1/4" jack to use a generic headset?

If you aren't worried about corrosion of the 1/4" connectors, submersing a normal 1/4" jack/socket would probably still allow the headset to work as the resistance of the water should be pretty high compared to the headset drivers.

To combat corrosion you can fill the socket with dielectric grease and cover the plug/socket with self amalgamating tape, glue-lined heatshrink or pot it in epoxy to keep water out.

Better yet, just splice the cable with waterproof connector straight into the headset, or change the 1/4" connectors to waterproof rated connectors. Any type of waterproof circular connector will work - doesn't have to be 'audio' specific.

Last edited:
There are sealed connectors available, they will be harder to connect than a typical consumer plug.
There are ways to use a length of tubing and a rubber earpiece as well, otherwise there will nearly always be a remote safety risk, depending on the power supply.

Might try the headphone area on this forum as well, is in with the amplifiers.

Oh, and welcome to the forum too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.