• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A final question on grounding(yeah right!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well all the parts are in place and the first DIY is about to be soldered up. For my star grounding scheme I read so much conflicting info about star grounding with an earth ground that in the end I went with a "true" star ground-that is, every single componant which is grounded has its' own separate ground to the single star at chassis/earth ground.

Here's the rub. My multi-meter's lowest setting for ohms is 200. When I check all my grounds and all my bolts for mounting parts to the chassis I get 000.1-000.2 no matter what. Sometimes when simply holding the probes to each other I get 000.0 and sometimes they fluctuate to 000.1-000.2 so I'm thinking I'm reading resistance from the probes themselves.

Is a reading such as the one I've gotten when checking my circuit/chassis ground of 000.1-000.2 to be expected or should I be reading a true 000.0?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Best,
mr mojo

kathodyne,

Thanks so much for your help-much appreciated. Gives me peace of mind!

Even though in theory ground should measure 0.0, is it ever possible in practice or will the resistance of chassis/solder/wire always present rnough resistance to measure?

Best,
mr mojo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.