• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

A few TubeLab SPP questions

After I take delivery of my sectional sofa and get my current sound system(s) setup and in place in my den I can finally start on my SSE amp. I have enough components and boards to build two. As I said in the past my plan since I do not have extensive electronics experience is to build one as a lab model so I can make sure what I'm doing works and the second one I hope to accomplish is to build one nice enough to use somewhere in the house even if it's a power source in my home office.

My next build after that will be a SPP. However I have a few questions. Will Edcor CSXE25-8-5K and XPWR035 transformers work for the SPP amp or are they too much or just the wrong kind? Is a motor run cap a component that I could incorporate into the SPP amp?

To me it seems that the SPP would have been more desirable if I could have used KT88's as the power tubes rather than 9 pin tubes.

I apologize for these questions but the documentation for the SPP amp is just not as clear as the SSE documentation. Plus I'm not an electronics guy so some things I read do not sink in...yet.
Last edited:


Paid Member
2011-02-04 11:35 am

The Tubelap SPP is a Push-Pull type amplifier, and the Tubelab SSE is a Single Ended design.

The output transformers for a single ended tube amplifier are different from those used in a push pull tube amplifier. So, you will not be able to use the CXSE output transformers, as they are single ended OPTs. For push pull have a look at the Edcor CXPP.

The XPWR035 is rated for 740v CT - too high for the SPP. Suitable Edcor transformers for the project are XPWR131 and XPWR178.

You can use KT88 tubes in the SSE. The Tubelab is designed for the EL84/6BQ5 tube.