a few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.. I’m an electrical engineering student and I have no idea when it comes to sound, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to share some of their knowledge on a few things with me?
When dealing with speakers all I know is to make sure they have higher power handling than the amp used to run them. Can someone explain what it is the crossover does and why it is important for the speakers. Also when putting together surround sound what kind of speakers are better to run on the different channels of the surround amp. What channel would you run the feed to the sub if the amp didn’t have a designated output for one, what kind of figures to generally look for when selecting speakers I know 8 ohm same as amp using, but what are freq range, Q factors, resonance, sensitivity.
I know my questions are a bit vague but my knowledge is too. Any help?

hi there! im doing electrotechnology down south in NZ

i think most answers to ur Qs are here-

www.diysubwoofers.org

www.linearteam.dk
to model subs.

the other few things are -
Fs Qts and Vas are important.

i reccomend geting a book such as 'advanced speaker designs for the hobbiest and enthusiast'or somthing similar to that,i bought mine through dick smith electronics for 30$.

What channel would you run the feed to the sub if the amp didn’t have a designated output for one

i have taken wires out of my speaker outs of my cheap mini system amp,into a crossover,and Sub amp (the mains arent filtered as they make no bass anyway ):cool:

Also when putting together surround sound what kind of speakers are better to run on the different channels of the surround amp

i think that they are all basicaly 100hz -20khz and should be the same to have matching 'timbres' it depends how much performance you want to get ,and how much your willing to spend.

i know some ppl go for Vifa for midrange price and performance.
(buy a proven kit that u can hear before you buy it if u can)

ofcourse you want a sub for your Sub channel(presuming yo u have a 5.1 channel amp)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quadroph

> my site,with my JBL 15inch.i go the efficient way,which many people dont seem to,many go for inefficient,small box,low resonance subs.
or for the ultimate in output, the LABHORN
:devilr:

When dealing with speakers all I know is to make sure they have higher power handling than the amp used to run them.

No, this is not a universal rule, and I started ignoring this long ago.

when putting together surround sound what kind of speakers are better to run on the different channels of the surround amp.

Opinions abound on this one. Remember that the actual source mix is flat...same frequency band sent to surround channels...so I'm a fan of using indentical speakers all around. Is this my hard recommendation? No, you can make a nice system many different ways.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.