A few drive unit tests: Scanspeak 18wu, Purifi 4 inch, SB 6" CAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any new drivers under test?

I have a couple car audio drivers (one 3-inch midrange and then a cheap 12-inch subwoofer) to test but after that it will be another round of loudspeakers again. I actually just purchased the Klippel NFS. :)
So my focus for a while will be loudspeakers. And I'm sure I'll have another round of drivers after that just to change things up again.

The resonances around the 1-2kHz range in the Purifi 4" drivers are quite alarming, especially for the price they want for them.... In my experience, next to overall tonal balance over the audible range, large spikes and dips in the 500 to 2000Hz range is the most immediately noticeable "something is wrong" cue.

This 4 dB bobble doesn't appear in the Purifi or HiFiCompass measurements, best I can tell. I'm also not seeing anything in the way of an HD peak that seems to relate to it. Could it be related to obstruction of the airflow on the backside?

I have a couple car audio drivers (one 3-inch midrange and then a cheap 12-inch subwoofer) to test but after that it will be another round of loudspeakers again. I actually just purchased the Klippel NFS. :)
So my focus for a while will be loudspeakers. And I'm sure I'll have another round of drivers after that just to change things up again.

sounds great, thank you! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.