A DIY Turntable Project from Turkey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EPSN2601.JPG

diy_turntable_3.jpg

diy_turntable_2.jpg

I want to share my new turntable project. The main chassis made of granite. I decided to make the main chassis in 2 parts. The lower part is dedicated to balance the turntable. I use 3 adjustable spike feets. I added the feet made of brass on the lower chassis. Inside the brass feets i added some cotton ropes to eliminate some of mechanical vibrations. On the brass feets i also added some Delrin parts. The upper chassis made of granite too. On the upper chassis i added the arm board and bearing. The bearing was used on another turntable. I've made some modifications and also add some brass parts to the main bearing.

The platter made of 30mm thickness Delrin. On the platter i added a mat made from 10mm glass (not shown on the pictures) I dont know the origin of glass mat (maybe Nagaoka but i'm not sure). I bought it 4 or 5years ago.

The record puck is made of delrin. The upper part is made of brass.

The motor housing is made of Delrin. Inside the housing i've add some brass parts to make heavier! To reduce the vibration of the motor, i added around some o-ring. The pulley made of aluminium.

The tonearm named Borghese from Italian company Goldenote. I'm very happy with yhis unipivot tonearm but i plan to made my own unipivot tonearm. I start to read articles about DIY tonearms. On the DIY Audio i see some very interesting projects...

Best regards from Turkiye!

Looks great! Tell us more about the process of designing and building it..
How does it compare to your reference?

Thank you Kevin. I wanted to make a rigid turntable design. In the begining of project, I did not really think to use granite. After a trial, I liked the result. Like all materials, there are some pros and cons of granite. Using some other materials -like cotton, brass and delrin- i tried to reduce the disadvantages of granite. I like the result :)

I compared my DIY turntable with Gyrodec. The overall performance of two turntables very different. DIY one's sound is detailed, straight, Michell is very sweet and musical. I'm very happy of overall results.

Hakancez,

Very nice work indeed. Do you use a round rubber belt? Have you considered using other types, like mylar tape (video tape), silk thread (dental floss), etc? There are big sonic differences between various belts, and rubber is not the best choice IMHO.

Hakancez,

Very nice work indeed. Do you use a round rubber belt? Have you considered using other types, like mylar tape (video tape), silk thread (dental floss), etc? There are big sonic differences between various belts, and rubber is not the best choice IMHO.

Oshifis,

Thank you very much. My first pulley was'nt suitable for use tapes or threads. With my new pulley i hope i can use silk thread. Thanks for your suggestions..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.