A DIY event in Denmark?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now the Mrs. has even begun building an amp, to have something to show at the next DDF.

Magura :)

I'm going to make a F5:D

And I'm on my way...

Mrs. Magura:)

Attachments

• PICT0939scl.JPG
    PICT0939scl.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 179
Donut a' la overkill - DIYAudio.rs - Page 22

nope - She wants something cute and elegant - in feminine way ;)
Mrs Magura already has Mr Magura but I suppose that although he may well be cute and elegant he is just inadequately feminine! :D

@Mr M,
Is that another big lump of Car... which I see in the pic? `If so please buy your wife a pair of rubber gloves and a face mask.

Last edited:
As it's inductor loaded, then it's actually quite square. You see, the inductor will cancel DC, thus a square will never be 100% square.

I would note that as I pointed out later in the thread, it's a 25Hz square I made a pic of, not 20Hz as written in the post with the pic.

The square will fall apart at some point around 25Hz, due to the corner frequency of the inductors.

Seen from my point of view, the interesting part of a square wave, is not how flat the top is, but the rise time.

As long as the low freq. sine looks fine, it should be fine.

Last edited:
Hello Magura ,
Thanks for the response , i now understand why , now for the obvious :)
can the amp operate without the inductors and if so , why have them ?

As Choky says, yes, just replace the inductors with a CCS.

The reasons for using inductors instead of a CCS are in my opinion:

1) High efficiency. They offer the only approach that I know of, to get real class A up around 19-20% efficiency.

2) The sound of an inductor loaded class A amp, tends to be very live and involving (ok, ask Choky for a better description. I am not exactly an audio journalist).
The few people I know, whom has made inductor loaded amps, tend to favor the sound.

Huh ? :confused:

Well thanks for trying guys and i know there is an answer in there somewhere with :) good intentions, but for the rest of us who are not so much in the know, it does get a bit confusing.

I will give Zen Mad :D the scientist link a read , if you guys could forward a technical link or offer basic as to why an inductor would:

1. Make the amp more efficient?
2. why would have so much low freq Sq wave tilt sound good, wouldn't this not have an negative effect on the bass?

Forgive my assumptions as i was taught for years to run away form tilting waveforms of any kind ... :)

regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.