A Corner Labyrinth Transducer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would this be considered a Transmission line?

A Corner Labyrinth Transducer

Do you think the Emminence Beta 12LT could be used in it?

Beta 12LT specs:
* Voice coil inductance: 0.83 mH
* Impedance: 8 ohms
* DC resistance: 7.37 ohms
* Frequency range: 45-10,000 Hz
* Fs: 45 Hz
* SPL: 99 dB 1W/1m
* Vas: 4.81 cu. ft.
* Qms: 6.44
* Qes: .55
* Qts: .51
* Xmax: 0.8mm

How should the cabinet be altered for a 12" driver since it's designed for 15"? Thanks much, -Brad-

full article...

page1
page2
page3
page4

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Brad:

I have not built a Transmission Line, but I know a few things about them.

Back in the eighties, David Weems devoted a whole chapter in his loudspeaker book to Transmission Lines and labyrinths. Throughout the chapter, he made clear that there were no design equations that put it all together like the closed box and ported box have.

He mentioned that labyrinths and Transmission Lines have a habit of ending their life being used for other things, such as doghouses.

In later books, Weems softened toward the Transmission Line, especially the straight tube.

Since that time, various people have begun to use Thiele-Small values to give some sense to Transmission Line and labyrinth design.

Your article clearly was written before Thiele-Small parameters were used for Transmission Lines. In fact, it looks like it pre-dates the advent of Thiele-Small parameters entirely.

Had Elvis even recorded "Hound Dog" yet when that article was written? :)

The enclosure is clealy a large one and would entail a lot of expense and expertise on your part.

I would advise that before you tear into it, you take a look at some Transmission Line websites. Planet 10 has his own website complete with Email capability. He also posts here quite often.

Considering that Transmission Lines and labyrinths have a reputation for being tricky, I would not commit myself to an older design before I got an experienced Transmission Line builder's opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.