A basic chipamp in a not so basic case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a regular chipamp.com based lm3875 amplifier, featuring a 300VA trafo and an Alps 10k log pot.

The case is made of thermally modified aspen and treated with parafin oil. The knob is scratch built from aluminium tube, it has a tiny red led in the front and is polished with car wax. There's a ball bearing in the shaft to ensure a smooth operation.

I guess everyone knows that these kind of amps sound pretty nice, so there's no point in telling, that this amp too sounds pretty nice. :bored:

Here's some pictures.

Inside:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The knob:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From the back (sorry about the lousy quality):

Full frontal:

Corner detail:

whatsnext said:
This is probably a dumb question but is there another switch someplace to change sources or is this not an integrated? Good looking amp.
John........

Nope, there's no switch yet, because I haven't figured a cool way to implement it without ruining the minimalistic front plate. The two extra pairs of rca's are just decoration at this moment.

waltson said:
Nope, there's no switch yet, because I haven't figured a cool way to implement it without ruining the minimalistic front plate. The two extra pairs of rca's are just decoration at this moment.

Who needs a switch? How frequenty are you changing sources anyway? And you wouldn't want to bury something that looks like that inside a shelf where it would be difficult to get to the rear panel. So why not just do your source switching manually? Just use those extra RCAs as hitching posts for the unused cables. I mean, can't be whole lot more invonvenient than getting up to change the volume. :)

se

Steve Eddy said:

Who needs a switch? How frequenty are you changing sources anyway? And you wouldn't want to bury something that looks like that inside a shelf where it would be difficult to get to the rear panel. So why not just do your source switching manually? Just use those extra RCAs as hitching posts for the unused cables. I mean, can't be whole lot more invonvenient than getting up to change the volume. :)

se

Not sure about this guy but I change sources at least twice a day. That would wear out my nice cables pretty quick.
John.....

My new Amp case

I finished this case a few weeks ago...future home of my chip Amp.The case is quartersawn Cherry veneer with walnut overlays behind the knobs. Bob C.

Attachments

• amp 005.jpg
    amp 005.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 391
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.