8ohm seas excel in car audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gang
First time posting. Not and expert in car audio but i have some equipment to put together. Got focal tlrs for tweets and the audiom 6w for mids. just wanna try my new set of seas excel w17ex instead the 6w, but they are 8ohm speakers, although i noticed few people especially here run them in car audio. would it be safe for my audison vrx2.250 to handle the seas mids?
I d love to get some input from u guys here and thanks!

You can always go higher ohm speakers and your amp will like you. They may be a bit quieter, but often home type 8 ohm drivers are more efficient so the difference is minimal....but depends on the db spl of the particular driver. Most SQ people are not worried about huge volume and have larger amps anyway. Yes it will change passive crossovers, you can look them up on web but if you have a factory passive crossover you may have some issues with it.

Has someone used or recommended that driver? I'm not familiar with that one just asking.

jol50 said:
You can always go higher ohm speakers and your amp will like you. They may be a bit quieter, but often home type 8 ohm drivers are more efficient so the difference is minimal....but depends on the db spl of the particular driver. Most SQ people are not worried about huge volume and have larger amps anyway. Yes it will change passive crossovers, you can look them up on web but if you have a factory passive crossover you may have some issues with it.

Has someone used or recommended that driver? I'm not familiar with that one just asking.

from what i hear they are very good drivers. used in some of the best home audio speakers. i think they come in 4ohm also because i have heard of people using them in cars on other diy forums. just google them and you'll see the hype around them.

As Clipped and jol50 have already mentioned, using an existing passive crossover could yield issues. It wouldn't be a fair comparison to use the Excel with an Audiom crossover and pass judgement.

In the past, Audiom was Focal's line of high efficiency drivers. I don't know about your 6W's, but previous Audiom 6" efficiency was around 97dB. That's significant. The efficiency was gained at the expense of low-frequency limit and excursion. They were only good down to 250Hz or so, IIRC.

The SEAS Excel line is of average efficiency (87-90dB) and good excursion. Low frequency limit is much more of what you'd expect from a 6" driver.

So, *if* your 6W's are similar to the older Audioms, be aware of those differences. The TLR's may be significantly more efficient than the w17's.

Both are very capable speakers when used in their element.

jol50 said:

I wont be using passive crossovers, will go active either with clarion drz 9255 or my current denford 8250+ external processor which i dont have yet, also debating there. Nobody recommanded those seas speakers, just everywhere i read almost everyone is drulling over them that it's one of the best mids out there with reasonabl price tag. Knowing the audiom 6w are few years old now just want to try somthing new.

tsmith1315 said:
As Clipped and jol50 have already mentioned, using an existing passive crossover could yield issues. It wouldn't be a fair comparison to use the Excel with an Audiom crossover and pass judgement.

In the past, Audiom was Focal's line of high efficiency drivers. I don't know about your 6W's, but previous Audiom 6" efficiency was around 97dB. That's significant. The efficiency was gained at the expense of low-frequency limit and excursion. They were only good down to 250Hz or so, IIRC.

The SEAS Excel line is of average efficiency (87-90dB) and good excursion. Low frequency limit is much more of what you'd expect from a 6" driver.

So, *if* your 6W's are similar to the older Audioms, be aware of those differences. The TLR's may be significantly more efficient than the w17's.

Both are very capable speakers when used in their element.

The audiom 6w was purchased new in 2002 with the TLR tweeters, so that would be the era of that model number i asume. Did anyone listen two both of thses drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.