• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

866A Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would it be ok to use a small capacitor {.01uf-.1uf} at the input side of the choke to quiet things down a bit? I have some buzzing from the 10H 500ma choke running at 400ma. I know the 866A requires a choke input so any cap at the input would have to be very low.

Can you thoroughly describe the entire power supply? (Especially the power transformer ratings, even part numbers would be great)

The best solution would be to substitute a different choke or if this is on a stereo amp, you could add a second identical choke to ease the load on the choke.

As long as it is a Swinging choke.
. . . and also as long as it was produced with whatever it takes to be Quiet in choke input supplies.

"All parts are created equal, but some parts are more equal than others" . . . stolen and modified from George Orwell's "Animal Farm".

Last edited:
I would model the supply in PSUD to check the diode current.

The small cap will increase diode current, power transformer current, and output voltage. I believe your power transformer will not be happy having that cap there at minimum, and as the cap value increases the 866s will start to whine too.

A 0.1uF cap has 13,263 Ohms of capacitive reactance at 120Hz.
849V peak / 13,263 Ohms is 64 mA current in the cap (just the 120Hz product).
Any higher frequency component coming off the 866A's will draw additional current.

One of the things you will do with a 0.1uF cap there is to create a very noisy ground loop at the 0.1uf cap ground connection. And a lot of that ground loop is going to have the characteristic 866A noise.

Try it at your own risk.
It probably will not change the mechanical noise of the choke.
Your mileage may vary.

The AC voltage across such a choke in a CLC power supply is just the ripple voltage. In a choke input supply like yours, that goes up to hundreds of volts.

For your LC power supply, crude estimates are:
Transformer AC current: 313mA
Diode Peak Current: 1.4A
Diode RMS Current: 313mA
DC output voltage: 412V

If we put a 0.1uF cap ahead of the choke you will reduce the voltage across the choke slightly and pick up maybe 10-20V DC of B+. Go ahead and try it, I suspect it will not silence your choke's cries for mercy.

A steel chassis and a swinging choke mounted on it is a great way to create a mechanical buzz.

We might be getting somewhere now.

Try using Stainless Steel screws, lock-washers, and nuts. And use a stainless steel spacer (1/4 inch stainless steel tube), between the choke mounting tabs and the steel chassis.

Last edited:
Swinging chokes have no magical properties. They're named for their larger than usual variation in inductance with variation in DC current. Choke input filters need to see a minimum inductance so that their DC output voltage doesn't "soar" to higher levels than desired, and the minimum inductance increases as load decreases. Search for "critical inductance".

What to do? A swinging choke maintains a higher inductance at lower currents than a conventional design, at the expense of some slightly lower inductance at higher currents.

Circuits with constant loading don't care, but if current draw varies a lot, a swinging choke can help with voltage regulation.

All good fortune,
Chris

I tried putting a .01uf-.08uf in front of the choke with no success. Things got worse with the .08uf. I'm considering a separate chassis for the choke. Power supply is very quiet and stable with only 8mv of ripple. I can't hear the buzz from the choke while music is playing and I'm 10 feet from the choke.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.