8" Midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm using a Eminence Legend 875 as midrange in open baffle configuration.
Crossover is 160 Hz and 3500 Hz 4th order active L-R.
The driver has high efficiency 95 dB and a low mass with 11g because of the paper membrane. The whole thing works quite good with a ribbon tweeter, but needs a lot of digital equalizing.

Has anyone a idea for a upgrade for this driver so I need less equalizing?

Thanks
Stephan

Thank's for the very interesting suggestions. The Audax PR170 seems not so good fpr open baffle use. But the PHL looks quite good. I googled a bit and found the PHL 2520 which seems to be even more interesting. I know nothing about the B&C drivers, has anybody experiences with them or compared them to any other driver? What type you would suggest for midrange use?
With the B200 I'm not sure if it would be a real upgrade but in FR it seems to be a good choice in open baffle.

Stephan

I had the PHL 2520 crossed over to a ribbon around 3khz for some time. It's an excellent midrange, detailed and dynamic, yet I feel this unit is better crossed over around 1200-2000hz. It gets a little harsh IMO above 2k. This was probably the designer's intent. It is a pro midrange after all, intended to bridge the gap between a 15" bass unit and 1" compression driver horn.

You will probably need some EQ regardless of what you end up using unless your baffle is wide enough to support the driver down to the crossover point.

The Visaton looks most interesting. I would lean toward a full range driver or very wideband midrange with a curvilinear paper cone and smallish voice coil. A fostex FX200 would be great if you can get one. The FE207 might be OK too, or even the FF225K; but overall, i think you'd be better off with a more moderate Q driver. Perhaps the supravox? I don't know how pricey these are in europe.

Hope that helps.

GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.