8" 2 way speaker plans wanted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I can hear you all groaning, and I have used the search function but I cant seem to find anything that is just right.
I thought that I had found the perfect answer with the Seas Njord but a volume of 35-40 litres is a little awkward, to big for a stand mount and to small for a floor stander. I must say at this point that the finished article must have a very high WAF, square box's are a no-no, so I am going to build it as a Sonus Faber lute clone. I should also add that I am a carpenter by trade so I am looking forwards to the cabinet construction most of all. I have little interest in getting dirty regarding actually designing a speaker from scratch, hence looking for an exsisting design.
Right, where does that leave me? Staying with Seas, one option is to build a sealed 60-70 ltr floorstander around the CA21RE, I am hopeing (wishing?) that I can simply replace the CA21REX from the Njord with the 21RE and away we go, (I like the very simple x-over design of the Njord, it agrees with my KISS attitude). Is this possible or am I being particularly dumb?
The other option is to keep looking for a design around the 20-25 ltr size, ported or sealed, i'm not fussed. Do any exsist?
The Seas P21REX looks about right doesnt it? 20-30 ltr sealed enclosure according th Seas, that would make a lovely stand mounter and would be a similar size to my present speakers, modified KEF Coda 2's (19 ltr sealed box with a 8" bass unit dont ya' know!)
I look forward to your ridicule, I can take it!

Paul.

Have a look at the DeccaVolt clone on www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk I think its called the Classique or something. 8" and ribbon. Lovely 8" driver likes porting (www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk if you want more info on the BM220.8 they use) one thing I will say is they like to be played loud. The Volt will go from 17-35ish Litres ported.

I have a pair of the Volts currently being used with dome mids, I'd like to try ribbons.

Paul Dimaline said:
WAF, square box's are a no-no, so I am going to build it as a Sonus Faber lute clone.

I look forward to your ridicule, I can take it!

Why are all the people here worried about their wives? I bet people who build their own cars don't care what their wives say, they must be manly men :apathic:

I have some Eton 8-800 in a sealed box cause ported always sounds aweful to me. They have a Q of .6 at about 20-23 liters and a inductor and notch filter for woofer. I think the f3 is around 50-60, maybe not good for you. I would go with Eton 8.1 design. I like the Eton woofers more than the ones you have picked out. They have Hexacone, instead of plastic cone. I probably would like to have a ribbon tweeter maybe, but I'm not sure how they sound. I think woofer is more important then the tweeter anyway.

How do they like to be played loud? They similar to Eton 8-800, except they have 1 mm less Xmax, 2-3 db less sensativity, and 45 cm^2 less sd. Mine are not loud. Maybe compared to a 2-way with smaller woofer of course they're loud.

Re: Re: 8" 2 way speaker plans wanted.

Jimmy154 said:

Why are all the people here worried about their wives? I bet people who build their own cars don't care what their wives say, they must be manly men :apathic:

Until one has a very very large living room to put his diy cars inside the house then one start to worry about what ones wive says. Otherwise one can build any ugly monster in the garage and no one cares much!

PS, planned accident can also happen to your beloved projects if they are detested past the max. point.

Re: Re: Re: 8" 2 way speaker plans wanted.

chris ma said:
Until one has a very very large living room to put his diy cars inside the house then one start to worry about what ones wive says. Otherwise one can build any ugly monster in the garage and no one cares much!

Women complain about cars, too. That's why I had to get rid of my old car. But I guess if you drove it into the living room that would be worse. You guys should just build DIY headphones, then you could hide them :D

chris ma said:
PS, planned accident can also happen to your beloved projects if they are detested past the max. point.

Accidents are never planned :bigeyes:

Many thanks for the feedback, much apreciated.

Puggie said:
Have a look at the DeccaVolt clone on www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk I think its called the Classique or something. 8" and ribbon. Lovely 8" driver likes porting (www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk if you want more info on the BM220.8 they use) one thing I will say is they like to be played loud. The Volt will go from 17-35ish Litres ported.

I have a pair of the Volts currently being used with dome mids, I'd like to try ribbons.

I admit to being a big fan of Volt drivers and have indeed heard the Classique but was not over impressed. What I was impressed with however was the Home Studio Monitor that uses the same Volt driver but with a Scan Speak tweeter.....trouble is they are both out of my price range, I am hoping to assemble all the drivers and other items (minus cabinet materials) for as close to £200 as possible, hence why I have been looking at Seas.
One thing that they must be able to do is sound good at reasonable volumes. Not living in a detached house means that high levels are most definatly out.

theNoid said:
A few more 8" projects can be found on my homepage, just click on "Crazy 8's"

http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/noidster

Noidster

Noidster, the Vifa/Seas 2 way project looks just what I am after. Right size, sealed box (my prefered option although not essential) and in budget.
As the graphs mean nothing to me would that 29ohm reading at 50Htz cause any problems with my valve amplifier? Oher than that they look to be a pretty easy load dont they?

A high WAF factor is important as she has to look at them just as long as I do! I want a nice piece of furniture to go with my lovely 401 plinth, i'm fed up with MDF and chipboard.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Paul.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.