7th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2010

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all... tonearms and turntables....

The odds of me making it to the Isle this year are looking pretty grim, although through some sort of miracle I might make it (but now not counting on it). Fixed the truck enough for local transport. Need to do the head gasket and water pump on the car.:(

Bernie has graciously offered to make a dozen or so headshells for 12" tonearms. I'll send out some arrow shafts with bearings installed. You bring a pen refill (hopefully a used up one). These are modelled after typical, but will be most similar to those offered by Yamamoto. There will be no connector as pictured, but will be an external clamp type. This will allow easy access for wiring. The headshells are similar in dimensions to those used on many turntables. I'll send some hockey pucks to use as bases for the arms and some steel collars to use as counterweights. I'll send a little bit of dowelling to support the nib from the pen refill.

To complete the arms you will need wire suitable for a tone arm, and something to use as cartridge clips. A discarded mouse can provide wire, or a set of throw away headphones or very fine telephone cable. You could buy some dedicated tonearm wire. If I can get some mini-sud "D" connectors, I'll send those out, they make excellent cartridge clips and are cheap! Also a piece of bendable wire to make some sort of rest. (Robust paper clips work well)

If I can figure out how to make a "Youtube" video with what I have here, I could make a video that would show the complete process.

Cal, really little Mission speakers? I thought Altec 5'ss or 7s would be your desktop speakers:)

Attachments

• yamamoto headshell.jpg
    yamamoto headshell.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
The odds of me making it to the Isle this year are looking pretty grim

This is bad news. Two dorks are better than one.

Cal, really little Mission speakers?

Can you see right through the computer? How do you know I have really little Mission speakers (760i) on the desk here? I knew you had powers but I thought that was with the women. Holy jumping crickets Batman.

Looks like I'll be missing it again this year, my slo-pitch tourney is that weekend plus the wife will be at her folks so no opportunity to combine it with a vacation on the island. Have fun guys! I am actually starting to miss you guys (what a frightening thought!).

PS Only 1 keg Cal? So you weren't planning on my coming then?

Looks like I'll be missing it again this year,
This is more bad news. We will miss you Tony.

PS Only 1 keg Cal?
Tony, I hope you're sitting down, I'm about to tell you something that might knock you onto that large posterior of yours. I can't drink beer anymore. The gout man hath cometh. The poster boy for hops and malts is now a wannabe.

Cal: er grout?

isn't that the stuff they use in tiling jobs? Mike Holmes says grout's really important...

How 'bout some reasonable quality single malt Scotch? I used to work in a distillery and please don't drink Canadian Whiskey unless it's "advertised" as 25 years old. Some 5 year old whiskey has as little as 5% 5 year old (in the cask), and most have carmel and artificial whiskey flavouring added...even supposedly "premium whiskey" (Crown Royal, Royal Reserve, etc). And American "Canadian" whiskey gets some "orange wine" added, which is essentially fermenting orange juice to reduce taxes on the bottles and tankers shipped there.

Nothing wrong with blended whiskeys, just know what you're drinking.

And of course a double dork "celebration" is better than a single dork one:).

Grout without the R ya dork!

Cal,
I'm sorry to hear that as I know that you certainly enjoyed good food, good drink and good fellowship. Now you're stuck with me, at least when it comes to drinking!

Last year I couldn't help myself and actually tasted several of Scott's brews, I couldn't drink more than a bit, but it was very good indeed, in fact, let's change that to excellent.

I'm reminded of the famous quotation by Benjamin Franklin:

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I hope to see you at Dave's and we'll share a mug of Dave's famous coffee.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hiya Terry,

Just spent the long weekend up north where the only liquid was beer so by this morning I was close to considering amputation. Can't wait for the island trip. Hoping to keep myself distracted with audio gear. Maybe you and I can share old times with a cup of that Dave brew. Turkish coffee, is that what he calls that stuff? All I know is I had a buzz on that reminded me of my younger and more foolish days experimenting with uh, um, well you know...

Hiya Terry,

Just spent the long weekend up north where the only liquid was beer so by this morning I was close to considering amputation. Can't wait for the island trip. Hoping to keep myself distracted with audio gear. Maybe you and I can share old times with a cup of that Dave brew. Turkish coffee, is that what he calls that stuff? All I know is I had a buzz on that reminded me of my younger and more foolish days experimenting with uh, um, well you know...

Hey Cal,

I'm really am sorry to hear that you have ended up with "Grout." as it certainly limits you in many of your accustomed pursuits.

Dave's "Turkish" Coffee" is probably worthy of an entire thread by itself, perhaps even a "sticky." I have personally experienced the restorative powers of this exotic blend of...whatever it actually is.

Unfortunately, it actually takes a Real He-man to partake of, and enjoy, this "Essence of Ecstatic Elevation".
Lesser men would merely use it to cure Athlete's Foot, while women generally would confine it's utility to removing nail polish.

Cal....We shall press on, overcoming all obstacles, confident in the certainty of Ultimate Victory and the knowledge that our praises will be sung by yet unborn generations, down though the endless ages to come.

Or not....:confused:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I've never missed putting the bottle away 18 some odd years ago. It was either do that or keep subjecting myself to panic and anxiety attacks as the result of PTSD - and I'm REALLY grateful to be past that stuff!!!

The real hurt came when I had to cut down to de-cafe! For an old Navy guy that was hard to do!!!

Then came the sugar - then the carb's - and then the fats.:cuss::violin::violin:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The real hurt came when I had to cut down to de-cafe! For an old Navy guy that was hard to do!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I admire men with an Iron Will!
Without a doubt, for a Navy man that has to be the Ultimate Test!

You are hereby entered into TerryO's official Hall of Heroes, in order that people may be instructed in Uncontested Acts of Courage.

May your actions today serve as a "Beacon of Light" for generations to come.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.