737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mandated? No. Seniority takes care of it.

Simulators are utterly fantastic tools. There's all sorts of stuff you do in there that you'd never do in a real plane, unless something was very seriously wrong. But yes, you are correct, nothing replaces experience in this business.

Seems Canada and possibly the EU will not accept future re-certification of the 737 Max by the FAA.
Stakes rise for Boeing as EU, Canada step up scrutiny of 737 MAX after crashes

A criminal investigation into the certification process had already started before the Ethiopian Airlines crash.
Boeing Plane Certification Probe Began Before Second Crash

Elsewhere I read that the training given by Boeing for the 737 Max consisted of 56 minutes playing on an ipad. (Can't find the link at the mo')
To a layman like me that seems a bit cavalier especially since pilots said that they were not told about the MCAS existence until after the Lion Air crash.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
There is a lot more to be a lot more scared about in the Airbus fly by wire setup!

From my position of ignorance, the aviation industry and by inference the global economy needs Boeing to fix the max as quickly as is safe to do so. That plane is needed and if its grounded for 12 months that is going to have some knock on effects that will hurt our pockets and faith in the industry.

Two more full model designations within the “737 MAX” family already underway, which presuamably will share numerous design features, including the more powerful and efficient LEAP 1B engine. With a total of over 4600 unfulfilled order for the 737 family in general, I’m thinking their shareholders who’ve already taken a bit of a drubbing this week are looking forward to a full review of all of the issues involved- not just flight management software, the existence of which according to some sources, the pilots were not made aware until this happened? - and a proper fix, rather than just a quickie software patch.

Some serious mea culpa forthcoming.

Elsewise, it could mean Boeing, going, gone - from first place in the civilian airline pantheon at least. With military contracts representing a heathy proportion of their income, they’re not likely to disappear completely, but we might be seeing a lot more of the A320 family at the gate.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
According to the web there are 5000 737 Max on order and nearly 6000 A320. No chance of airbus doubling production. Even if they could I hate to think how you would retrain all those pilots. I would also suspect (and 6L6 will tell me if I am being an idiot) that there are some Boeing pilots who would not go anywhere near an airbus even for money.

So (still from my position of ignorance) this has to be fixed, but properly.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Boeing’s order book and Airbus’ both stand at about 5000 narrow bodies each. That’s more than a decade’s worth of production for both manufacturers. The airlines need the airplanes in their fleets and neither manufacturer can increase production speed much past where they are now. If an airline canceled an order today and placed it with the other manufacturer, they are getting in a long line that will deliver their planes in 10yr from now.

Boeing has about a 20yr product cycle and a 30yr+ product life. This will be a very bad memory once it’s fixed, but fixed it will become, and we’ll never hear about it except in documentaries about airliners.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Almost every time a fly on an Airbus 320/321 I hear some old fart recite that "If it ain't Boing" BS. :rolleyes: I love me some Airbus 320. Comfy, quiet, nice. The Boings I get stuck on always seem so rough.

Disclosure: I used to live in Toulouse. But no affiliation.

Pano - I hafta agree, the only Being I’ve been on recently that was more comfortable than A320 was a 777-200. The wide bodied double aisles have so much more overhead that i don’t feel as cramped as in the window seat of a 737.

Anyways, I’m sure this will be resolved, but not so sure it will soon be forgotten.

Yeah, the DASH8 is a pretty reliable old truck, but sure not a comfy ride. I’ve only ever taken them n the short bunny hop from Victoria to Vancouver - you known one where by the time the bilingual safety message is completed you’ve got about 5 minutes before the landing descent. Shortest take-off of any big fixed wing I’ve enjoyed.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
TV recently had a dramatization of three incidents at Qantas, maybe 5 years back, airliners doing the same thing. Sudden nose-down. No crash, data combed, and the conclusion was that the data *sometimes* had altitude numbers in the angle-of-attack field (something like that; not real clear for TV). Which panicked the main brain (which apparently did not know AoA can not be 20,000), which put the nose down "or we will stall!"

And these were Airbus! IIRC, the 380.

Are both makers taking code from the same sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.