737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Design work can be a nightmare without due care and attention.

A electronics engineer friend of mine was telling me about a telephone exchange he designed. The design was finished and tested to death.
The first one went to Malaya I think. After installation the exchange had all sorts of problems. They found that the damp climate was affecting some high impedance circuits. The designer had used numerous multi meg-ohm resistors which were being affected by the damp and misbehaving.
In the end the supplier had to pay for air conditioning in the exchange room.

I once worked on a modem I was designing. For some reason it suffered from interference. I couldn't work out where it was coming from until someone suggested that I shouldn't put my sig gen on top of the scope !

Had a similar problem with a power amplifier that had loads of noise.
Turned out to be my CFL desk lamp which was inches away.

Had a problem with a new amplifier I built which suffered badly from mains hum. I had carefully decoupled the power supply but it still hummed.
Turned out on my test bed the mains transformer was right below the amp and inducing magnetic fields into it.

etc etc[/QUOTE
Absolutely. An aerial amplifier in the roof was somehow modulating through the digital video recorder. It took me ages to find it. A few pF as coupling via the coax was a partial cure. A new unit bought and all was well. Essentially nothing was wrong. It was mostly old meets new.

When designing PSU I often find 20 dB by trial and error. This gets better the more I build. One has to be careful. It takes time. Introduction of a PCB rather than dead bug can ruin what was an easy idea. Care and time.

It strikes me the obsession most of us have is the right one when safety is the question. Just as a hi fi company can die if the obsession dies just carry that thought forward.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That kind of issue (in this case a manufacturing issue with the slat tracks) is fairly common and there are many safeguards and procedures in place to deal with them.

Fix it now (or very soon) problems are handled under AD's; (Airworthiness Directives)

Airworthiness Directive - Airworthiness Directive - Wikipedia

Fix it in a reasonable amount of time issues (Less critical, but still get it changed) are SB's Service Bulletins;

AC 20-176A - Service Bulletins Related to Airworthiness Directives and Indicating FAA Approval on Service Documents – Document Information

Reminds me of the time when I did user acceptance on large IT projects. I introduced three classes of problems with correction efforts depending on severity:

Catastrophic: stop everything, fix it it immediately;

Major: don't stop testing but must be fixed by this time tomorrow;

Minor: must be fixed within three days.

The secret to successful testing is in a clear and enforced plan. If I or my team declared a Catastrophic, most companies started to jump through hoops voluntarily ;-)

Sorry, back to OnT ..

Jan

There is another problem that might be a smoke screen. Fake parts. A friend thought he found fake nuts on a F111. They were oval. That is how the are. Very bright and light suggesting titanium..The F111 were inspected and declaired a disgrace until the chief of maintenance pointed out it was a 24/7 operational outfit unlike at home. He then said despite looks the best performing and best maintenance of all F111. The guy brought the nut to me before seeing his boss. Not what he should have done. He was demoted to the tyre shop. I use to help him with his cars, best really he did tyres. The nuts are a form of super light lock nut. My friend I seem to remember though the light weight further proof of being fake if memory right. At least he questioned it.

I am battling at work over testing procedures. Luckily I have a friend who is an expert in the field. He has just come out of retirement at 80 to teach the Army. My boss says he appreciates my stance. That means I am ...... stubborn. Turns out we can adapt 1920s reasoning to fully described a complex impedance. The problem is testing is seen as a game for a group of people in a company who usually sit on a small table and nobody really knows who they are. Sometimes they keep the boss and the employees out of bankruptcy. I would say to anyone blaming is a bigger risk than accepting blame.

Despite advances in computing power, some experts argue old-school physical tests are categorically better because they can produce unpredictable results, said one industry certification expert.

“Test has changed for the company from being a place of discovery to being mostly to validate what we thought we knew,” said Rick Ludtke, a former Boeing 737 MAX engineer.
This.

U.S. regulator cites new flaw on grounded Boeing 737 MAX - Reuters

The risk was discovered during a simulator test last week and it is not yet clear if the issue can be addressed with a software upgrade or will require a more complex hardware fix, sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

I believe there is a fundamental flaw in how Boeing allows the software to interfere with the pilot.

At work one of us doesn't want to use a system dreamt up by our accountant. Like a car company the part going forward is only is known by it's original part number. This person says this is madness as I once said. I was asked to modify the parts list whenever a part changes. I said this BOM as it is called is a legal document. I hope that puts an end to it. Making an aircraft needs so many cross references. Nightmare. What we agreed is the BOM has the part number and latest part number collom. Bet it has ten revisions. Basically it's asking me to do his job. As I pointed out if going to court I can pull part numbers from the air there is a fair chance I take safety seriously.

In this morning's New York Times: The Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday that it had recently discovered a new problem with the 737 Max jet that Boeing must correct before the plane is returned to service.

In a flight simulator last week, F.A.A. pilots tested erroneous activations of anti-stall software that pushes down the nose of the Max, two people with knowledge of the matter said. The software, known as MCAS, was involved in two crashes that killed 346 people.

In at least one instance, an F.A.A. pilot was unable to quickly and easily follow Boeing’s emergency procedures to regain control of the plane. The pilot rated that failure as catastrophic, meaning it could lead to the loss of an aircraft midflight, the people said. The situation that was tested is highly unlikely to occur during a typical passenger flight, but the regulator is still requiring Boeing to make a fix, one of the people said.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
One point worth mentioning again - MCAS is not an “anti-stall” system, it was placed there for flight control feel in certain configurations. Seeing the term “anti-stall” in an article is a very good indacator that the article is written by people who generally have no (or very little) clue.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
in certain configurations.
This is a conditional modifier to what is a linear characteristic.
it was placed there for flight control feel
I don't use DSP to correct for some room reflections and baffle diffractions because the two systems are incompatible (not to mention why it is being done). The assertion brings up more questions than it answers. It doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This is a conditional modifier to what is a linear

Linear? Not at all. In fact, the flight regime is incredibly dynamic and has many modifiers, to name just a few;

Air density
Air saturation
Air temperature
Aircraft weight
Aircraft CG
Aircraft speed in airspeed
Aircraft speed in mach
Wing configuration
Wing angle of attack
Wing loading static
Wing loading dynamic
Gust loading
Engine thrust

The list goes on but hopefully you get the point.

Maybe a law of the sky could be imposed as to how unstable an aircraft would be without computer correction. That would be for experts to advise and might be reviewed from time to time. Whilst it's not ideal it might halt excessive use of over correction or whatever. One would like to think a modern aircraft could glide. I have my doubts without some kind of powering. I know the last point is well into the past or guess it is. Proff stress is requested and yield points on materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.