737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far back as the early '90's Sukhoi and Gulfstream entertained a joint venture for a SSBJ, code named the S-21. While this would seem to certainly be a consortium capable of actually completing a functional design, in the face of perceived limited market demand at the time the partnership was dissolved, and while Sukhoi may have retained interest in the project, it seems to have wilted on the vine.

Sukhoi-Gulfstream S-21 | Supersonic Business Jet

Considering that the venerable G650 can long range cruise (7000nm) at M.85, at presumably far less cost per passenger mile than any proposed M2 or so aircraft, I'd be inclined to ask the question - just exactly who or what's so freaking important that those speeds are necessary for civilian /business travel?

Yeah, I guess I am now officially a cranky old fart, and get your dog off my lawn!

As for the stats of what Captain Joe would describe as “unfortunate landings” by model, keep in mind as is stated in the linked wikipedia article that the 737 is the best selling model (series) in the history of commercial passenger aviation with over 10,000 sold since first flight in 1968. The total number of passengers/miles must be in the millions and billions respectively, * see page 3 below for correction - and the overall safety record of miles travelled when compared to other modes - well as limited and out of date as it might be, the table below tells an interesting story.
None of which negates my previously stated opinion of Boeing’s culpability and financial liability in the specific case of the Max series. As much as the case could be made for aggressive and frivolous class action litigation, I think this is not one of those times.

http://www.boeing.com/farnborough2014/pdf/BCA/fct -737 Family Facts.pdf

Attachments

• FDBE972F-F1AA-4176-BBAD-F6E772400B38.png
    FDBE972F-F1AA-4176-BBAD-F6E772400B38.png
    211 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Indeed, while the table I posted is a very rudimentary condensation, refers to a single country and is certainly out of date, during the decade cited more than 9 times as many pedestrians and cyclists died than airplane passengers - and that before texting while walking or those crazy Onewheel powered skateboards* became large enough sub-sets to perhaps require their own separate detail lines. The point is that per overall passenger mile travelled, airlines are pretty damned safe.

*Onewheel Pint
– Onewheel // Future Motion
. - almost ran into one of these in a Maui mall parking lot last month - “what, me wear a helmet, why would I do that?”

Not looking good for Boeing.

American Airlines pulled the 737Max until mid August
American Airlines extends MAX cancellation period – Aviation News – daily news dedicated to the global aviation industry

They've declared the 737Max unsuitable for certain airports. May be they should have told Ethiopian Air given that their home falls into that category.
Boeing declared 737 max 8 ‘not suitable’ for certain airports | The Herald

Some suggest Boeing should design a new plane from a clean sheet instead of fiddling with the old 737. Also towards the end the article mentions that Boeing investors have filed a class action suit against Boeing for defrauding shareholders besides the lawsuits brought by relatives of victims and airlines owning Maxs.
Boeing Might Replace 737 MAX With New Planes To Regain Trust

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I view that AA story as more correct contingency planning based on the information they have based on a worst case analysis of when the fixes will be approved, implemented and all necessary training etc carried out. Sets everyones expectations and they note they hope to start re-introducing them before then.

The Bombadier trade dispute is an interesting one and will certainly cause some squirming.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Againj just sensible planning and setting expectations. airline schedules are set well in advance to ensure take off and landing slots are available etc. We forget how many people want their payment when a plane flies from A to B. I did some work with the UK CAA and at the centre its a big money collection machine. 'nice plane you got there mate, shame if we said it couldn't take off again, pay here'. Land somewhere, pay CAA, take off, pay CAA, change a tyre, pay CAA etc.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I hope this doesn't break the 'no politics' rule, but I thought the latest tweet on this by POTUS amusing enough to share
What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name.
No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?

Note the carefully nuanced grasp of how it works!

Treading a fine line here Bill, but the last sentence of your quote covers more than just the issues that Boeing had on their hands.
I think Boeing already has an all new design in their catalog that might now see some interest - called the NMA / 797
Boeing New Midsize Airplane - Wikipedia
Having recently “enjoyed” 737-300 & 800, 777, and A320s, I must say that the double aisle layout simply feels more spacious - even if the economy seat pitch is still 31”

Joined 2014
Paid Member
That article says '$12-15bn to develop'. So anything up to 4x that in reality and not ready until 2025. Vs the fastest selling aircraft in their history. That is a rock and hard place I would not right now want to be in.

But I am still of the view that this will all blow over.

I find it a lot more interesting that existing investors are suing Boeing for fraud than whatever American Airlines intends to do with their Maxs.

But then it does seem that some want to give Boeing a free go when it comes to corporate subterfuge and producing an airliner with dangerous faults to increase their profits.

Bill - as a former beancounter of sorts, it was the quesstimated 30% higher revenue over narrowbodies and 40% lower trips costs over existing widebodies it could / would replace that caught my eye. There’s lotsa of factors that any buyer of such a craft would consider, but certainly the lifetime operating cost / profitability of a $60-70M investment would be among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.