737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It’s a digital cockpit airplane, so they quite likely know more than they are letting on. It’s very, very obvious that they have decided to sit tight and be quiet about this and wait until the accident investigations release their findings and then they can move forward.

The possibility of a single point of failure causing the accidents is almost impossible, things are just not engineered that way without something else going quite wrong.

Again, it’s worth repeating that no new factual information has been released about either of the events.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
(acrophobia)
Having to do work at the top of a B747 vertical stabilizer while maneuvering a cherry picker, had cured mine within minutes (shock therapy)

I usually ask for a seat next to an emergency exit because they have more leg room, window or not.
There are some criteria to be fulfilled for to be given a seat by an emergency door of any type (in order to verify ability to assist the crew during an evacuation of the aircraft)

I really don’t know why Boeing is committing reputational suicide unless, perhaps, it fears lawsuits more.
Reputation will recover (Airbus has it’s share too, Engines OEMs as well, take a look back). Lawsuits is no joke when having admitted an issue.
George

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Having to do work at the top of a B747 vertical stabilizer maneuvering a cherry picker, had cured mine within minutes (shock therapy)
I should imaging that gives you a very good perspective on just how BIG the plane is. From the jetbridge it looks big. Walking right to the back you get unnerved by how many sections there appear to be, but you never get to take in the full hugeness of it.

I did a sum once on the A380 and worked out the max take off weight of the 380 was the same as a fully loaded 747 with a fully loaded 737 on top of it. Scary as you have to get 580 Tonnes of plane up to 150knots in under 4km of runway. That's a lorra thrust.

Veering more off topic, but on aircraft dynamics does anyone have a good link to how NASA modified their 747 to carry a shuttle on it's back and still fly?

I enjoy sitting next to the plane window and taking pics and videos. Never managed to catch another plane, iz zipped too fast :)
I was thinking about the fear of flyinng-it is not really important- it won't make any difference anyway - so: Relax and enjoy :D

Attachments

• IMAG4113-1280x720.jpg
    IMAG4113-1280x720.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 258
The possibility of a single point of failure causing the accidents is almost impossible, things are just not engineered that way without something else going quite wrong.
I think we do know that in the Lion Air crash a single AoA sensor failure caused the MCAS to try, and eventually succeed, to fly the plane into the sea. Which is shocking.
There may have been secondary failures such as elevator blow-back but the initial cause of the control issues is known.

There are some criteria to be fulfilled for to be given a seat by an emergency door of any type (in order to verify ability to assist the crew during an evacuation of the aircraft)

I do that every time I fly and nobody has ever mentioned anything except not to put luggage under the seat.
Economy class is hell if you have a 38"+ inseam but so is buying trousers these days.

Ever fly into Atlanta's Hartsfield airport from the east? On many occasions you will see another plane approaching, sometimes from another direction, eventually running parallel with you and at about the same speed while descending toward the runway. If it gets noticed by enough passengers, people will begin to squirm and sometimes get vocal as the other plane, and the ground draw closer.

Sometimes the pilot will make the announcement, sometimes not, "this airport has TWO active parallel runways, rest assured that the other plane IS headed for the other runway."

Having to do work at the top of a B747 vertical stabilizer maneuvering a cherry picker, had cured mine within minutes (shock therapy)
Trained on a 90 foot grove man lift. The weird part was moving the base from the bucket at full height.

Remember an airbus flight from london back to home, they had a camera up there. Man, looked like the plane was already in the air.

jn

I think we do know that in the Lion Air crash a single AoA sensor failure caused the MCAS to try, and eventually succeed, to fly the plane into the sea. Which is shocking.
There may have been secondary failures such as elevator blow-back but the initial cause of the control issues is known.

I was just reading about software updates, which, among other things, will now read and compare data from both AoA sensors. Ok, that's better, but still does not solve more fundamental question.
Did AoA sensor fail? If yes, why so "easily"? Who can guarantee that both of them won't fail? Or, what if it was not the sensor, but some crappy connection somewhere on some circuit board that no-one noticed? Even the best SW upgrades cannot help much then...
Which reminds me of a joke: What does the IT guy do if the car doesn't start?
He gets out, then gets in and tries again :D

I enjoy sitting next to the plane window and taking pics and videos. Never managed to catch another plane, iz zipped too fast :)
I was thinking about the fear of flyinng-it is not really important- it won't make any difference anyway - so: Relax and enjoy :D

Over the many year I was actively flying on business I had over a 1 million miles between United (and Continental) at that time. I experienced just about every kind of emergency - thankfully none not fatal! While I certainly had my share of window seats, being tall I always preferred the aisle and exit rows. Of course exit rows are considered premium seating now.

I remember one particular incident in the late 80's I was flying back and forth across the Rockies from Denver to Grand Junction. United was still flying the older Convair 870 turbo prop planes. Big ole lumbering and loud aircraft. On one return flight on a Friday afternoon, right on touchdown one of the emergency window exit doors popped inward. Luckily, I wasn't sitting in that exit row! Obviously, it startled the few on the plane, but no harm was done and we taxied to the gate without incident.

In Dec 2015 we flew to Paris, just over a month after the terrorist attacks. As we approached CdeG at night I saw another plane rapidly approaching from our port stern, and it arced such that I lost view of it but I suspected it was behind us. Later, on the ground, I looked up when I heard a plane and could see a military jet behind the commercial craft. Nice to know they were ready to shoot us down if needed.

In general I have no issues with flying, but that little 6-seater felt like a cigar tube, and it was pretty windy and we were bouncing around quite a bit on take-off. I admit once we were up the pilot set it to 3500 ft and 125 knots (I was watching the gauges) and it was very smooth, and we were in Carriacou in under 20 minutes. Still, looking out the window next to me made me "feel" the air under me.

Yeah, really! 🙂

I was just reading about software updates, which, among other things, will now read and compare data from both AoA sensors. Ok, that's better, but still does not solve more fundamental question.
Did AoA sensor fail? If yes, why so "easily"? Who can guarantee that both of them won't fail? Or, what if it was not the sensor, but some crappy connection somewhere on some circuit board that no-one noticed? Even the best SW upgrades cannot help much then...
Which reminds me of a joke: What does the IT guy do if the car doesn't start?
He gets out, then gets in and tries again :D
That may be a sign of madness.

Sadly, the 22 degree error in the AoA was known by the plane during taxi, before it even took off. So such an alarm may have saved all those lives.

I think there is going to be a big hoo-ha about how this system was permitted both by Boeing and the FAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.