• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7193/6SN7 + 6V6 preamp

Hi friends
I want to build preamp consist of 7193 or 6sn7 at the Input as a driver for 6V6 which will be at the output stage.
Do you know any very successful design based on those tubes ?
Regarding to the power supply I have red comments that CLC sounds more natural and dynamic if high quality chokes is used like AN HIB core next to tube shunt regulator that can create noise.

I would appreciate any reply and help

God bless you all.

P.s
This is my first tube project

Are you saying you want to build a 2 stage amplifier, 6SN7 into 6V6 outputs? That's perfectly feasible. I just posted my circuit for 6SN7 into 2a3 in another thread and I've added it here. I can use 6SN7 or two single triodes like 6J5 variants. I used to like the 7193 but I'm getting better sound with the CV6 aka CV1135, VR-135. Also 2 top caps but beware - the grid and anode top caps are the other way round from the 7193. Using 2 octal sockets opens up some nice possibilities like 6P5G/GT plus there are some nice 6J5 versions like the round anodes. You might even want to use 56 or 76 if you see any, or even go with the loctals and use 7A4.

Are you using the 6V6 in triode or what? Are you considering any kind of feedback? As a fan of the 2a3 I'd suggest that as the output tube if that takes your fancy.

2a3 + 6SN7 resistor.png

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Are you saying you want to build a 2 stage amplifier, 6SN7 into 6V6 outputs? That's perfectly feasible. I just posted my circuit for 6SN7 into 2a3 in another thread and I've added it here. I can use 6SN7 or two single triodes like 6J5 variants. I used to like the 7193 but I'm getting better sound with the CV6 aka CV1135, VR-135. Also 2 top caps but beware - the grid and anode top caps are the other way round from the 7193. Using 2 octal sockets opens up some nice possibilities like 6P5G/GT plus there are some nice 6J5 versions like the round anodes. You might even want to use 56 or 76 if you see any, or even go with the loctals and use 7A4.

Are you using the 6V6 in triode or what? Are you considering any kind of feedback? As a fan of the 2a3 I'd suggest that as the output tube if that takes your fancy.

View attachment 1065690
The OP is asking for a preamp, I think.

Thanks
God bless you all.
I was asking for preamp not an amplifier.
I know that 6v6 is a power tube.
However since to my ears I hear a vintage tone that I like so much that I wish to use it as preamp.
Yes in most cases I have heard this tube in a power amplifier so I guess it was used as pentode.
So even if I will need to use the 6v6 as buffer to achieve it's tone.. I will use it.
More ever this preamp will be zero feedback and class A design.
Thank you all for your help and advises

Thanks
God bless you all.
I was asking for preamp not an amplifier.
I know that 6v6 is a power tube.
However since to my ears I hear a vintage tone that I like so much that I wish to use it as preamp.
Yes in most cases I have heard this tube in a power amplifier so I guess it was used as pentode.
So even if I will need to use the 6v6 as buffer to achieve it's tone.. I will use it.
More ever this preamp will be zero feedback and class A design.
Thank you all for your help and advises
Although you liked with the 6V6 as an output tube, I'm not sure how much of that sound would translate into a preamp using it. And if you use it as a buffer (cathode follower) that might alter the sound even more.

Here's a massive, long-running, thread about using the 6V6 in a preamp.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/6v6-line-preamp.102352/

If you use the search function and enter "6V6 preamp", there are some others too.

I breadboarded a simple 6V6 preamp a while back. It sounded OK but microphonics were an issue. I didn't spend much time trying to refine it, though. It was based on this design:

https://wtfamps.com/sofrito-preamplifier/

After trying about a dozen different types of tubes I ended up using the 1626.

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1626-preamp-build.931276/

Thank you for your reply
Alter the sound by how ?
More ever there is a manufacturer that makes this kind of design by 6j5 which is basically 7193 and 6v6
https://sw1xad.co.uk/product/sw1x-pre-iv-dht-line-pre-amplifier/
Regarding to the microphonics of the 6v6
I haven't red about it anywhere
But still it has amazing tone unlike the el34 which I call it the Gibson of the tubes
The 6v6 is the fender

My point is simply that a particular tube type will not sound the same in every circuit or when it's being used in a totally different type of circuit.

Not all amps that use the 6V6 as an output tube sound the same even though the tube is being used for the same purpose in each case.

Just because you like the sound of the 6V6 as an output tube doesn't mean that it has same sonic characteristics when used in a totally different circuit, like a preamp or a cathode follower.

In all cases, it's not just the tube that is responsible for the overall sound. The circuits themselves, the tube's role in the circuit and the details of how the circuit are implemented also contribute to the overall sound and may even influence the sound to a greater degree than the choice of tube.

By all means, give it a try. But just because you liked the sound of an amp that uses 6V6 outputs doesn't mean you'll like any circuit that uses a 6V6.

If the OP is looking for a line driver here is something I ran
on the bench in 2004. V1 is a 6SN7 while V2 was a 6K6,
I used a UL OPT to make this happen. To do it properly
it needs an OPT with a magnetic gap. V2 could just as
well be a 6V6. :)

Attachments

• LINE AMP JPG Web2.jpg
    LINE AMP JPG Web2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 96