6x9's and Sub with 2 channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've just been given a 2 channel amp and a 10" sub - I already have 2 6x9's in the back and I was wondering if I'd be able to wire up all three speakers to the amp. (sorry if this has been asked before I'm new to all this)...

My initial idea is to wire up the 6x9's to the Amp as normal then have cables running from L+ and R- into a passive crossover then into the Sub.

The Sub is a Pioneer TS-W255F (I can't find what Ohm it is) The 6x9's are 4 Ohm and the amp spec states its stable from 2 to 8 Ohm Any ideas/Suggestions on how I could do this would be great

Thanks Jay

O.K., here's the answer. You have 2 choices. You haven't said weather you wanted to use the low pass frequency built in to the amp for the sub. If so, this will not work for your 6x9s. The easiest way is to use a 150hz coil on the positive side of your sub input, inline between your amp and sub. This is a low frequency coil and will allow you to use the amp flat (full-range).
You will wire the 6x9s off your amp in conventional form. Hopefully the sub is a dual coil and can be wired in the same manner. If the sub is a single coil you will need to bridge the sub using both positive sides of the amp. In eiether case, you will need bassblockers for the 6x9s to prevent the lower frequencies from distorting and bottoming out the smaller speakers. The coil and bass blockers can be bought at generaly any audio outlet. Be sure you get bassblockers to match your speker size. This will set you back about $50. (the price of a cheap amp that could power your 6x9s. Hope this helps.

personally... i would hook the 6x9 to the deck and the sub to the amp and cross the sub lo-pass arould 70 - 80hz. depending on the deck you would have to put bassblockers on the x9's to limit the frequencys.

if your deck has a built in x-over like my alpine, then i would set the front & rear to 80hz hi and leave the x-over on the sub out off(full range) and use the crassover in the amp... but thats me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.