6v6 push pull guitar amp schematic sought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
guitar_joe said:
could somebody please point me into the direction of a guitar amp that uses push pull or parallel push pull 6v6 in cathode bias. Any leads would be great.

The link above is excellent, but I noticed if is missing several models from key companies.

Another good site is
Schematic Heaven

If your looking for outstanding simple vintage flavor, The Fender Deluxe 5E3 is one of the most popular PP 6V6 amps these days.

There are countless sources for reproduction chassis, cabinets and every key part needed. It can easily be done fairly cost effectively.
Best of all, they sound fantastic.

Here are more details on the Narrow Panel Tweed

Enjoy

I built one of these amps using a transformer and choke from an old Gibson amp and an output transformer that's a replacement for the Tweed Deluxe(and probably other small amps) sold by New Sensor. The little amp sounds great and I think it runs at about 360volts B+.

The speaker you use is also important and in this amp I used the Electro Harmonix alnico 20 watt 12, it's very light and it sounds awesome in a little amp. Don't use a high wattage heavy duty speaker if possible.

Geek said:
Hi,

Not for very long with reissue 6V6's.

Most NOS RCA's can take that though. But 350-360V max is best.

Cheers!

1 exception,

The JJ 6V6S can easily cope with in well in excess of 400V.

They nearly matches a 6L6 ratings and durability. In a stock 5E3 amp, it will actually be louder and fuller sounding than the average NOS 6V6GT.

Added bonus, JJ 6V6's are fairly low cost and very easy to get.

Trout

I second the JJ 6v6S. Cheap, reliable, and good sounding to boot. Takes 450v all day long with no problems. Plate structure is larger than a 7868/7591, so these tubes run pretty cool when run at nominal ratings. I think I read somewhere that the stated dissipation is 14 watts, and that that is conservative.

ThSpeakerDude88 said:
I second the JJ 6v6S. Cheap, reliable, and good sounding to boot. Takes 450v all day long with no problems. Plate structure is larger than a 7868/7591, so these tubes run pretty cool when run at nominal ratings. I think I read somewhere that the stated dissipation is 14 watts, and that that is conservative.

I have a 6V6PP amp on the bench right now with JJ's in it,
Plates are 460V, screens at 415V biased at 20MA and its rock solid!

Not even a hint of overheating even after several hours of constant running. I think they actually sound better in the upper voltage ranges , well, at least in the guitar amps

:D

Edit

BTW, here is the factory data sheet

JJ 6V6S

I've used the JJ's in some of my amps ('64 Princeton Reverb) and I think they sound great. I've also used the Electro Harmonix 6V6 in a few amps as well including a 50 watt Marshall top as an experiment. In that case they were running at about 400 volts with no problems at all.

The 6V6's that were on the market a few years ago were simply awful and they would NOT handle much above about 350 volts with reliability thankfully with the new JJ's and the EH's and some others on the market those days are over and NOS is not the only option, VERY cool!

Link to thead on Marshall with 6V6's

http://www.network54.com/Forum/2787...+50+Watt+With+6V6+Output+Tubes+Test.....Pics.

I've also used the Electro Harmonix 6V6 in a few amps as well including a 50 watt Marshall top as an experiment. In that case they were running at about 400 volts with no problems at all.

Interesting!!!

I have a few EH 6V6's here that I use for testing, but I always fear they would fail on higher voltage stuff.

They get so physically hot I always fear the glass will eventually implode :devilr:
No problems with them red-plating, just the seemingly high heat that scared me.

I'll have to try them again in a more brutal setting.:D

I never had them run into the "red zone" in the Marshall amp situation. They ran just perfectly and they sounded fine. At the gig Myles liked the KT66HP better(he runs the amp into an attenuator anyway). He felt that the bottom end was more "together" but the 6V6 really sounded ok. This amp sounds incredibly good with the KT66HP I sure wish I could still get THAT tube.

I've had that some in the past with new tubes from EH or Sovtek. They seem to put off an odor for the first 30 minutes or so of use. I'm talking just setting the bias and then using them not pushing the tubes red or anything. It seems to fade after that time I think that it's the cement which holds the base putting off a stink the first time it comes up to temperature.

I've had a set of the EH 6V6's in place of a 6L6 in a customer's Blues Deluxe for over a year now without problems and I think that amp runs them at around 425 volts or so, they seem fine.

ThSpeakerDude88 said:
Do they get that "really hot glass" smell to them? Not like when a tube is normally operating, but when their seriously being pushed?

Yep,,, thats the smell, Maybe it is the glue,, maybe its the base, but for sure they get very hot.

Right now I am looking and another potentially fun tube from JJ,

Those 7591S's look really encouraging. I'll have to move a few connections though, pin outs are a bit different.
JJ 7591S

Those should be very easy to drive and there is no lack of potential output levels.

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.