• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SN7 low plate voltage for lower gain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What operating point do I use for the 6SN7?
5 or 10mA,180v anode?

Ryssen,

As a first approximation choosing the operating point such that Va is about half the H.T.+, is a good starting point. At this point not exactly sure at which ht+ voltage you will operate. If you take the given 180V as the supply and not Va itself, then for a 47K anode load, Va should be at about 90V with a cathode bias voltage of 3,6V at an Ia = 2 mA (my graphs are rather small and inaccurate at that point). That is closely approximated with Rk = 1,8K.ohm. a 10µF bypass cap should suffice for lowest frequency.

Correct, unless you need to block a DC voltage.
Ivè built this from the schema and it is working I connected my sigalgenerator and my scope and the gain is 2.
But the problem is that with signalgereator connected I get dc of about 120mv on both the input and the output,and if I turn the geneator of it rases to 0,4v.
Does this mean I have to have an inputcap and another cap at output??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Input and output capacitors beyond the one shown on the plate may not be required provided that the output end of the coupling capacitor is actually referenced to ground by a resistor. Depending on the size of that coupling cap and other components a resistor of 100K - 1Meg may be suitable.

They are NEGATIVE,if I short the output nothing happends to the input, still -220mv,and the outputs goes to zero.
If I turn off the signalgenerator the voltage att input goes to -450mv.
Strange..

Edit: I am using Led bias.

Last edited:
Mounted the 100k at the input jacks,when I discovered that the signalgenerator has a knob saying "offset"....
dialed it in for minimum offset so when the tube is warm the offset both in and out are at about 10mv,fluctating sommetimes to 50mv some more when the tube is cold.
It worries me a little what happends when I connect the DAC (ES9023) and the bassamp (Class D)don´t know if it has a blocking cap.
I could try with another source like the computer but then again I don´t know if it has a cap.

Not really a small signal tube but ⁶BX7 is pin compatible and sounds fantastic in preamps. Heater current a little high perhaps at 1.5amps. I have a pre that takes 6AS7 for lowest gain, then ⁶BX7, ⁶BL₇, and finally ⁶SN₇ which gives most gain. They all work great even tho none are optimized in this circuit.

I agree with you: the whole "BX7" line (either 6 or 12 bx) is a much under appreciated valve. If you are a "guitar guy", the 12 series is a great pin-for-pin substitute for the AX 7 line. Changes the tone significantly, both (usually) cleaning up the gain linearity and “fattening” the sound. But that isn't "hi fidelity".

In my few-dozen preamps, I found that the BX kind of "decompresses" the incoming signal, increasing dynamics without otherwise coloring the audio stream. Vocals are especially decompressed. Sounds more like "you're there" instead of "listening to a great recording". Neat trick.

GoatGuy

A little update:I now have input caps,and using the computer as tone generator!
So now the problem is solved on the inputside,so on the output during warm tube/playing 1khz I have -5-20mv,it is during start that there can be -300mv
that must be harmful to the speakers??
I might as well put caps on the output to...?

The output capacitor must load to the cathode voltage it is attached to.
The current to get there commes trough the output resistor.
If the cathode raises slowely than the output doesn't have to jump up at starttime.
You could try like this (just an idea), gain is adjustable between <1x to ~5x
Mona

Attachments

• VarPre.jpg
    VarPre.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 174
Hmm,thanks for the build tips.sorry to say that I allready made the box and theres no place for another tube.
If I dont get this one working (will connect the bassamp tomorrow)I will make a new top for the box and build with youre schema.

But I wonder,ain´t caps supposed to block DC?Then why dont they? :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.