• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SL7 equivalent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Kodabmx, i have spare time today :)

If you look at the tubes 250V conductance vs Anode voltage and bias you can see they don't match.
look at 80V anode, 0 V grid, = 2mA for 6n2p,
12ax7 = 1.7mA
It is true that at some parameters it has the exact mA but not true for all.

From the datasheet there are substantial difference in parameters:
6n6p ev VS 12Ax7 in italics:

Life 5000h 10000h
cathode heater max 100V 180V
Anode dissipation typical 0.8 0.5
Cathode current max : 0.8W each , 0.5 each
Max grid resistance : 1M - 2.2M
heaters current 340ma - 300ma

Parametersfor anode voltage of 250V, -1.5V for EV, -2V for 12ax7:
2.3ma vs 1.2ma
ma/V : 2.3 non ev, ev 2.1 , 1.6
cg/a pf inter electrode capacitance: 2.35pf - 1.7pf

Hi kodabmx, the only reason for which I explored those tubes is that they were cheap. To me they just don't cut it THD wise and sonic wise.

Ah yes, thanks for correcting me, the stats are for 6n2p ev VS 12Ax7 in italics

I used 6n2p as cathode follower only for dac out, I found them unacceptable as amplifier tubes.

Don't get it wrong that I don't like russian tubes.

I have 10 of the 6h9c (in yellow box like in the link) which are excellent and the only 6sl7 produced in russia. I don't think there is any noval tube which is the equivalent. 4x 6SL7 / 6N9S / 6H9C USSR TUBES New in Box | eBay

I use 6N2P for VA in a tube phono amp, and use them in place of 6SL7 in the 10W Dynaco floating paraphase PI.

And I almost ALWAYS prefer Soviet tubes to Western ones. Like 6N13S instead of 6AS7G/6080, or 6N*S instead of 6S*7.

The thought of paying 150$+ for an RCA Red Seal 6SN7 made from the tears of God makes me nauseous. LOL

The smoked RCA 12SL7GT has the same anode than the military 12SN7, this is strange, can't find the tube for electronic tube box.
The Haltron and the Russian are exactly the same, the new tung sol is different.
It is obvious than the 6n2p-ev is a different tube.
All of the tube except 6n2p-ev are 12 or 6 SL7GT.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

With the 3 Ia-Va cuves in one graph it is clear that there is quite a difference with the 6SL7 and the EABC80 much closer.
Mona

Attachments

• sl7.png
    sl7.png
    151 KB · Views: 206
I just wired one of my 2A3 amps for a 6AQ7GT (grounded the two diodes and cathode) and then swapped the 6AQ7GT for a 6SL7GT and the operating difference is minuscule.

For all intents and purposes, the two tubes are very very similar if not identical (in circuit).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.