• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6CG7/6FQ7 = 6N5P (6Н5П)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed, there is also a 6N5P that is like a 6AS7. But there is also a 6N5P that is a small signal double triode. Probably one of them is not a 6N5P, but we don't know no cyrillics :)

Here is some data for the 6N5P. It does indeed look like a 6SN7/6CG7, with 5mA/V, mu of 22, Rp around 6k (depending on operation point of course)

Tube Tester Files - 6N5P

Yes indeed, very interesting - I found this brief report on asylum:
Audio Asylum Thread Printer

This is promising - the Ei 6CG7 is meant to be excellent.

The 6n5p is in plentiful supply on ebay and may be a good prospect if we can get someone to verify their 'sub-ability' for the 6CG7....

Ian - do you mean sonically? Electronically the datasheet looks almost identical - so if you've noticed a sonic difference then it might not even be worth the effort!

Electrically they seem quite different too. For instance, the 6n5P is quoted with a mu of 27 whereas the 6CG7 is 20.

I have not tested any 6N5P tubes but I can tell you from experience that the shorter plate type B9A tubes invariably have higher distortion. Even among different makes of 6CG7, the ones with taller plates have lower distortion.

Cheers

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.