• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AU4GTA heater voltage problem

Long story short:

I'm struggling a bit with the power supply for my 808 SE amp. The first power transformer I tried (AnTek toroid) both vibrated and produced a too low HT so I replaced it with an old EI transformer from a 1940's cinema amp. My mains voltage is 230-235V and the transformer has taps for 220 and 245V. The 220V tap results in the right heater voltage for the 4x 6AU4GTA rectifiers but the HT gets a bit on the high side while the 245V tap gives a more comfortable HT (and less mechanical noise) but only 5,8-5,9V to the rectifier heaters.
How important is this in the real world? The datasheet mentions 6,3V +-10%, that would be 5,67V for a minimun.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Underheating (245V tap) usually not a good thing for high/er/ current tubes (faster cathode wearing) .... but more excitation of PT (220V tap) also not so good (possible overheating).
No free lunch.
Try the second option (220V tap) and watch the heat.

I'm using the 220V tap right now, resulting in 6,4VAC on the heaters which I guess is ok. The biggest problem here is the mechanical noise, this transformer was close to completely silent on the bench but that changed once I put in inside the aluminium chassis.

Try fastening the screws that maintain toguether the core.

The screws are tight and the transformer i completely soaked in varnish + mounted on rubber dampers.
The main problem here is probably my PSU chassis design, flat sheets of 2mm alu assembled with alu profiles in the corners.

I ran the amp for a couple of hours this evening and the transformer got quite hot. I'll probably have to rebuild the whole thing in a better chassis but I'll try the 245V tap first and se if that does anything against the noise problem. If so, I can probably solve the heater voltage issues with a separate heater transformer.