60-0-60V ps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's a fair bit of power and the voltages are bordering on 'be careful you don't zing yourself'. You'll need to build such an amplifier carefully, good solid heatsinking, good quality output devices and no wimpy relays for speaker protection.

If it's a really old supply check to see if the transformer buzzes under load - I had some old transformers that I thought were good but they tend to bus which gets annoying.

One could build a nice amp with that kind of power.

Depending on your experience, you could probably adapt one of the many good DIY amps posted on this forum in the past few years.

Last edited:
I never expected this much response. Luv this site and I learn something new every day.

A very good tip on the LM49830. That lead to some other things. The LM4702 also was of interest among others. There was a group buy at one time but it seemed to disappear.

If I read the data sheet correctly it requires two different power supplies, one for the chip amp and one for the mofets. Is this correct? The chip amp really makes these easy to build.

These amps have a lot more power then the LM 3875 which I made need.

I never expected this much response. Luv this site and I learn something new every day.

A very good tip on the LM49830. That lead to some other things. The LM4702 also was of interest among others. There was a group buy at one time but it seemed to disappear.

If I read the data sheet correctly it requires two different power supplies, one for the chip amp and one for the mofets. Is this correct? The chip amp really makes these easy to build.

These amps have a lot more power then the LM 3875 which I made need.

Yes, they can be made to do 400 Watts, pretty easily, just by paralleling more mosfets (if the PSU was up to it).

And as bobodioulasso said, using two supplies is optional. But it would be better to have two (with the front end rails about 10 V higher), so you could drive the LME49830 to the rails, in order to use more of the mosfets' capability, and get the full power they can provide.

Read posts 3 through 6, at the link below. There are a couple of great links, from there.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/230482-lme49830-irfp240-9240-a.html#post3382377

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.