6 Transistor Amp with EXICON Laterals Class AB 10 Watt

In fact, it's the most frustrating.
for a project to live beyond the iterations in simulation, it must be assembled, built and tested, otherwise it remains "only" paper and that's a real shame.
I really like most of your schematics Lineup, but without concrete, it remains only images.
I know it's not your thing, you've already said it, but for once, try to push a little further with a PCB and a real realization.
Please don't see anything wrong in my message, I have a lot of respect for you. :cheers:

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a later version of this amp.
The only change from the earlier is the TMC Compensation.
A slight improvement.

PS. I was not correct to call it TPC. TMC it is.

6T Poweramp EXICON_07 TMC.jpg

It’s only both “good” and “simple” with the Exicons. Not as good with IRF hexfets, no good with bipolars unless they are at least darlingtons. Pretty nice with an EF3,as I made similar with a 68 volt supply. But it’s 10 transistors instead of 6.

I one wanted to use just a pair of bipolars the bias in U2 would need to go up by a factor of 10. Sustained-beta outputs would be mandatory. And it would never be as good, not even close.

I dont think my N and P models are matched. Vgs on is different.
With a pair of MOSFETs, a Vgs mismatch leads only to offset voltage. In contrast, an Idss mismatch leads to incomplete cancellation of the square term.

With a pair of BJTs, a Hfe mismatch combined with non-zero base resistance leads to incomplete cancellation of even harmonics. An Is mismatch leads only to offset voltage.

Which is "better" depends on one's values.

A pair of MOSFETs has the unique property that the distortion completely cancels as along as the MOSFETs follow the square law, Idss is matched, and the MOSFETs remain in class A. Outside of these conditions, the MOSFET's distortion becomes high.

A pair of BJTs can never have zero distortion, but the distortion remains low for signal amplitudes above cut-off.
Ed

Reactions: 1 user