6 Channel DIY Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am very new to the scene on amplifier boards in terms of building them yourself. I have a set of speakers, 2 subs with 4 ohm impedance and 120w rms, 2 mid-range 8 ohm impedance and 60w rms, and 2 tweeters 8 ohm impedance and 60w rms. I am on a budget and all amps I have found are very expensive so I decided to build one. I have basic knowledge but am wondering the best chip to use and whether or not this is even feasible.

1) yes, it is very feasible.
Thanks God you start with a very reasonable goal, very doable.

To boot 120W@4 ohm and 60W@8 ohm amplifiers need basically same rail voltages, which simplifies supply design and allows one big transformer to supply everything.

Since power supply in general is the most expensive part of an amplifier, you started well.

Just as *one* possibility, simple, affordable and excellent sounding LM3886 can reliably supply 50W RMSb into 8 ohmks, so 4 ofn them cover your mid/high needs.

Not sure what to recommend for 100/120W into 4 ohm, suspect you may have to go discrete there, certainly Forum members will offer many suggestions.

Do you really have all those as separate units, so you need 6 channels? Usually the mid and tweeter can be made into a speaker with a crossover.

And you will need a crossover, no matter what your setup is. Either active one before the amps, or passive after them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.