6.5" speaker: how omnidirectional?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to use a single 6.5" speaker on a project of mine. Im planning to mount it behind me on my pedal bike. I would like to have it be audible for a ~10ft radius around me.

Would mounting one 6.5" speaker facing up provide this? or will all the sound just go straight up?

Would I be better to have 2 smaller speakers facing left and right (from the point of view of the biker)?

Hi -

Yes. HF stands for 'high frequency'.

Most direct radiator speakers (no waveguide or horn or diffraction slot) will become more directional at higher frequencies. The smaller the speaker, the higher the frequency this starts to become noticeable at - a fair amount of difference off axis vs on axis in the upper midrange and above between a 4" and a 6.5", especially if you're off to the side with a speaker that is firing straight up.

I would like to use a single 6.5" speaker on a project of mine. Im planning to mount it behind me on my pedal bike. I would like to have it be audible for a ~10ft radius around me.

Would mounting one 6.5" speaker facing up provide this? or will all the sound just go straight up?

Would I be better to have 2 smaller speakers facing left and right (from the point of view of the biker)?

Begging your pardon, sir, but have we gone down the rabbit hole and are stationary cycling in Wonderland?

Maybe there is something I am misunderstanding, but, if you want to create some bubble of omni-directional sound from inherently directional physical objects you would be asking to meet the children of a barren woman or feel the fur of a frog. I remember, prior to "stereo" that there would be one speaker mounted ahead, in front of the listener. This would be mono and likely quite adequate for exercise .

I too am a cyclist who enjoys the cadence of music and the distraction of sound which takes me away from the drudgery and pain of training. I have found "in-ear" headphones the least problematic in terms of sweat and head movement. If you want near field monitors then you have the same challenge and opportunity that computer speakers offer. In the full range options there are the mini-Fonkens that would orient left and right in front of you and at a distance that produced a proper sound stage.

This omni-directional bubble is a curious concept. There is no seat in Carnegie Hall that will be omni-directional. I think there is a Dr. Seuss critter with one ear tentacle mounted top side of its head that might experience an omini-directional sound stage. But for critters with two ears and the wiring that locates objects in space predicated on the neuronal impulses resulting from sound wave stimulation from ears, separated at birth, and existing on the same head, I fear it will always be stereo. If the speaker sound source is behind you it will be located behind you. I prefer the sound to be reproduced as intended by the producers of the content which is in front of you and directional. One speaker in front of you would change the sound stage and phenomenology/experience that the producers intended but is close enough for government work. Otherwise you would have two speakers, left and right ahead of you creating a sound stage as intended when it was produced.

Keep your cadence high and best wishes for a successful season.

lol its not because i need to listen to music in every direction, but I often ride with people so I would like it if they could hear.. this project is more for the fun of others im biking with anyways. :p

thats why i want a bubble of sound :)

Ah, you would be referring to "sound reinforcement" for a room of people and as forgiving and wide a sound stage as you can get.

The Lotus bipole and Coniston^2 would be my full range choice for a room of spinning or roller riding cyclists. But unless you would be listening to refined acoustic and vocal music it would be disco loudspeakers or multi-media with cojones that would supply the motivational soundtrack. Don't get me wrong. I love Mahler's Kindertotenlieder as much as the next refined audiophile kinda guy. But if I am pacing at 90% of my max heart rate in time trial training where I see monochrome and struggle to keep my cookies in the jar, it takes loud seismic punk to keep the cadence over 90rpm and get to the end of a 25K simulation. I have an ancient KEF B139/B110/T52 project for this kind of raucous fun. But if you can stay on task and push through the pain with Strauss or some well tempered clavier then you are blessed with more focus than I.

I agree with that for training completely but there are many times when I am hanging out with my bike (i have no car so im always with bike) and when I show off my sound system i dont want it to sound bad.
I dont expect audiophile quality but I dont want people to go "oh yeah i guess that good enough considering its on your bike."

I agree with that for training completely but there are many times when I am hanging out with my bike (i have no car so im always with bike) and when I show off my sound system i dont want it to sound bad.
I dont expect audiophile quality but I dont want people to go "oh yeah i guess that good enough considering its on your bike."

OMG, Dude!? Are you talking about a full range system on your BIKE?:crazy:

Is this a car, rather, mobile bike audio full range sound system you are contemplating?

:eek:

I am trying to wrap my head around the amplification for a bike fitted full range system and then there is the issue of the speaker cabinets.:scratch:

I have never used a Smilies in a post before but I am so moved that they seem irresistible.:drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.