6,5" sonosub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

I'm searching around for small sonosubs.
I think this will be one of my next projects. Aim is to build 2 small tubes. 150mm with 6,5", 800mm long will give 15 liters.

Need a little help with input about drivers and tuning.

I have looked at Tangband's 6,5" W6-1139SI.

Amp will be my 100w Rotel and plan is to use passive lowpass at 150Hz.

Any reason why i should not do this?
Of course WAF is a major factor here:eek:

Georg

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Well, 15 L will get you down into the lower 30s, so OK for most music, but this driver's mass:compliance ratio doesn't safely allow horizontal loading due to excessive sag, so the tubes would have to be laid down.

With a 150 Hz XO it will be necessary to keep the 'subs' close to the mains, compromising room placement flexibility.

Ideally you want enough power to ensure there's no amp clipping or ~300 W for this driver, so hope it has a benign sounding protection circuit if you occasionally like to 'crank it up' till the woofers are beginning to audibly distort.

I'm guessing that a pair of 80 cm long tubes arrayed across the room is low WAF.

GM

Tnx for reply.

What other drivers should i look at?
The tubes will be placed right behind my mains. Thats why i would like to have them standing upright and beeing small.
My mains are a pair of SEAS Idunn
IMG_1426.jpg

Georg

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome!

Good question! The only low Fs drivers I'm familiar with that are suitable for down firing are those specifically designed for it and relatively expensive 12" or larger car audio 'sub' woofers that typically require a way more power than you have to be worth the effort.

A T-TQWT OTOH will position the driver upright enough, but requires you to make a tall box.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.