6.5 inch bass scoop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
could someone help me design a mini bass scoop around the dayton audio classic 6.5 inch subwoofer. it has to be relatively small because it will be used for a portable system. it has to be around 18 x 14 x 8 or smaller. I would like for the sub to at least reach 40 hz. are there any alternative options that would get louder in the same space than the bass scoop?

Hi Nick Bass,

Post #1: "...18 x 14 x 8 or smaller..."

Given that size, your best bet might be a bass-reflex enclosure, you can modify the port to look a little like a scoop. This can be modeled in Hornresp using the compound horn arrangement. I'll attach a quick try that should fit within your dimensions, you need to use a HP to control the low frequency excursion, and you can use some filling in the port to control the response peaks and resonances.

Hope this will give you a start.

Regards,

Hi,

A mini bass scoop will simply have no bass. They need to be big and
the line length long to have any sort of reasonable bass extension.

Works for PA with big cabinets and limited bass, poor for home hifi.

FWIW 40Hz outdoors with a 6.5" is a never going to happen joke.

rgds, sreten.

There are simply no bass horns that size.

However, you could easily get 2 or three 42 Hz duct ported DCS165's to work in that volume (maybe 4 if you used thin cabinet material), which if done in separate cabinets would allow you to shape a larger coverage area with such low power a lot better than having a single sub. Just have to figure out a way to keep people from tripping over the wires. You still wont shake any pant legs. If you're running indoors you could play tricks with that like sticking them in every corner you have wire to reach from your console/amp rack. Big corners work good outside too, building walls, boulders, anything to augment acoustic coupling.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. i ended up doing an alpine type r 8 inch in a bass reflex enclosure. it can be taken apart so it fits in my locker and has wheels so i do not have to carry it. im using the mvpa1 amp and small power wheels batteries. it has good response down to 35 hz in a .5 cu ft box and is tuned to 42 hz. i have the mvpa4 running a woofer and a tweeter. overall it is only 17 x 17 x 7. it gets pretty loud in a classroom. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.