6.5, 8", Chang, Sachikos? Xmas project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, the big box store's panel saws aren't usually that accurate. I'm not sure what City you are in, but you may want to look in the yellow pages for a true lumber yard or plywood distributor. I've found they sell Baltic Birch for just a few bucks more than big box store crud birch. If they are a speaker you'll have for a long time, it is worth spending an extra 10 bucks a sheet for good, void free baltic birch IMO.
Kits are also a good way to get started. Another idea is to go to a local Woodworker type store, i.e. Woodcraft (in many big cities) and see if someone will cut out all the pieces for you. At our Woodcraft store in Toledo, the workers are usually retired guys who woodwork as a hobby or personally know the other retired guys who come in and drink coffee. They might take on the task of cutting all the panels for you for a few bucks. Just a thought. If you lived anywhere near me, I would do it for you for free.

Great suggestions!
There is a Woodcraft here in Tucson.

To make life more interesting there are a couple of Lumber Yards, and I found this place:
Hood Distribution - Import Plywood

It never occurred to me try and find a better source for plywood.
Unfortunately, no on line prices for the lumber yards. And, now I might have to choose plywood based upon how it will look.

Maybe Christmas time sales fall at the lumber yards, freeing up their time to help out a customer wanting to build speaker cabinets?

Between where I live and the North-South interstate, which I use a lot to get to many places in Tucson, I live north of Tucson, are rail road tracks. Many times a train comes, the road closes, and we get to watch a train with multiple engines, 3 or 4, pull a seeming endless line of box cars. It seems that a few lumber yards are located next to the rail lines, their source for the lumber they sell.

Your insights will help me a lot.
Thank you for your time.

Thanks to Planet-10, and Scott, I have detailed plans to go by.

best from Tucson
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.