• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5R4WGY/A/B , input filter capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
i need some information about these valve rectifier.

I would know if it is possible use the 5R4WGB in a capacitor-input filter, with a first cap of 100 uF, or it's dangerous.

If negative, what do you think could be a right value for this cap?

40 uf, could be right?
I'm sorry, but i'm doing a Loftin White 2A3 amp, from the italian review AUDION. The originale project was by Nobu Shishido, but the review Audion set a 5R4WGY in the schematics, and i buyed them. so i'm i trouble now....
Excuse for my english, and thanks
Bye
Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

according to datasheet the input cap must be 4 uF, but the thing you had to pay more attention is the plate supply impedence that have to be not less than 2 x 125 ohm if you're using this diode in full wave rectifier, otherwise you'll reduce the tube's life.

Marcello

Hello, and many thanks!!!
The filter with input cap of 10uF, and then 220 uF it's interesting, i'll try with PSUII.
Chris, i have a 5R4WGB, : could you post the link of datasheet with filter input cap of 20 uF? Could be a better solution.
Marcello, thanks, i'm not so technical, so you said that's it impossible go over 4uF. Or this value it's related with plate impendance? How i can calculate that?
I haven't the datasheet of 5R4WGB...
The ampli input filter is Diode>R50ohm 10 watt> 100uF cap>L10H 150mA>100uF....

Thanks
Riccardo

riccardo said:
Hello, and many thanks!!!
The filter with input cap of 10uF, and then 220 uF it's interesting, i'll try with PSUII.
Chris, i have a 5R4WGB, : could you post the link of datasheet with filter input cap of 20 uF? Could be a better solution.
Marcello, thanks, i'm not so technical, so you said that's it impossible go over 4uF. Or this value it's related with plate impendance? How i can calculate that?
I haven't the datasheet of 5R4WGB...
The ampli input filter is Diode>R50ohm 10 watt> 100uF cap>L10H 150mA>100uF....

Thanks
Riccardo

in my opinion should be: R > diode> 4 uF cap> L10H> 100uF
where R = (250 ohm - transformer DC res. ) and must be 10W or more

The datasheet is attached on eli's reply.

Bye

Hi Marcello,
i think what you say is very important.
i'm sorry for my english, but i try to explain:
It is'nt equal if the plate "see":
Transfomer impedance> Diode> R (250 ohm - TA impendance) 4uF etc?

You see, in the original Nobu Shishido Loftin White 2A3 project, http://www.audiodesignguide.com/se/loftin_white_2a3a.jpg
he use a rectifier 5AR4 ( From Datasheet : filter input capacitor max 40 uF) but the input filter is:
5AR4> R50 ohm 10 W >100uF > L 10H 150 mA>100uF....
So i think that could be a solution for calculate a greater input filter cap for 5R4WGB.
And i don't immagine HOW.....
Thanks
Ciao
RR
(
(quote)
in my opinion should be: R > diode> 4 uF cap> L10H> 100uF
where R = (250 ohm - transformer DC res. ) and must be 10W or more

The datasheet is attached on eli's reply.

Bye

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.