500W+ amps for driving your subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I have two MJ-18 (Mach-5 Audio) in a sealed 60 litre box driven by my 500+ watt version of Rod Elliots sub amp( project68) eq'ed by the Linkwitz Transform. I have never heard better bass. At 60 litres the rivers pretty much fill the enclosure. Ths simple circuit maks it work.

to the original thread question... The Re value is DC resistance and your nominal impedence is probably 8 ohms... I dont think you will have a problem running an amp that puts out it's max output into 4 ohms nominal. These are subs by golly and a little clipping isnt going to hurt them like tweeters. Besides.. if as you say the subs are rated 300watts you can get a 500watt amp and have headroom left over.

BassAwdyO said:
Besides.. if as you say the subs are rated 300watts you can get a 500watt amp and have headroom left over.

Rating that Nick gave for these drivers were:
Pe (nom): 300 Watts
Pe (max): 500 Watts
Pe (transient): 1000 Watts

I don't think I'll be running the amp full-on (at present, the amps that I've got all run about -6dB), so I don't think I'll be getting any problems in running these drivers with it. But, I think they'll probably be able to handle just about anything I throw at them anyway...

P.S. the amp I got says these figures in its manual for bridged mono:
20-20kHz at 8ohms, 0.1%THD: 1300W
1kHz at 8ohms, 0.1%THD: 1500W
1kHz at 4ohms, 1%THD: 2400W
Voltage gain: 34dB
Power consumption: 5A (for the 240V model).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.