• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P1L DHT Line Stage

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sample.

It's only simulation with Ale's model.
Interstage frequency compensation depends of the second stage parameters.

Attachments

• 4P1L, Interstage.jpg
    4P1L, Interstage.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 684
Choose the current you want. Like if you use a LL1660/20mA choose 20mA.

Choose the voltage anode to cathode. Like say 140v

Look at curves. 20mA and 140v gives you -10v bias. So voltage at top of resistor is 10v. Voltage at anode is 150v, since you also add the 10v bias.

Resistor value is voltage over current. Filament current is about 600mA for a 4P1L, then add the current through tube = 20mA. So resistor is 10/.62 = about 16R.

Voltage out of Coleman reg is 12v (10v plus 2v for filament). Voltage in is 18v to 19v.

Attachments

• 4P1L blankcurves1.png
    4P1L blankcurves1.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 654
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Choose the current you want. Like if you use a LL1660/20mA choose 20mA.

Choose the voltage anode to cathode. Like say 140v

Look at curves. 20mA and 140v gives you -10v bias. So voltage at top of resistor is 10v. Voltage at anode is 150v, since you also add the 10v bias.

Resistor value is voltage over current. Filament current is about 600mA for a 4P1L, then add the current through tube = 20mA. So resistor is 10/.62 = about 16R.

Voltage out of Coleman reg is 12v (10v plus 2v for filament). Voltage in is 18v to 19v.

Thanks you very much Andy, you explaint very well and easy to understand for a newbie and a non very good English speaker, one more question: how do you know Filament current for 4P1L is about 600mA?

Last edited:
Thanks, Ale schematics is 1,65VDC?

I have other schematic with 1,8VDC, attached pic.

I want to use the same LL1660 4:5:1 Alt Q that used in my #26 preamp, is possible?

Look at the specifications for your LL1660. What is the gap in milliamps? is it 5mA, 10mA, 18mA.......

the 4P1L will not be happy at under 15mA, it will be better at 18mA, it will be really good at 25mA and possibly better still at 30mA.

So if your LL1660 is less than 15mA forget it and buy a new transformer - it will sound fine with a 26 but not with a 4P1L which only starts to sound acceptable at 15mA. If you buy a new transformer, look for a gap around 25mA or at least 20mA. All single ended transformers have a current rating.

Hello Charm and all,

thanks for all those links to datasheets of 4p1l. As they are not written in
english and i unfortunately can´t read russian, there are three questions left:

So pin 5 is a screen. What does it screen? Connect is to ground?

What is the recommended triode-Connection? There can be found different
versions looking at all those circuits in the i-net. So a/G3/G2 or a/G2 and
G3/k-connection? Which version is the right one?

Greetings

Ulf

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Look at the specifications for your LL1660. What is the gap in milliamps? is it 5mA, 10mA, 18mA.......

the 4P1L will not be happy at under 15mA, it will be better at 18mA, it will be really good at 25mA and possibly better still at 30mA.

So if your LL1660 is less than 15mA forget it and buy a new transformer - it will sound fine with a 26 but not with a 4P1L which only starts to sound acceptable at 15mA. If you buy a new transformer, look for a gap around 25mA or at least 20mA. All single ended transformers have a current rating.

Alt Q 4.5:1 is 18mA so I guees I can try it for the attached schematic:)

Attachments

• 4P1L LL1660_3.png
    4P1L LL1660_3.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:
Alt Q 4.5:1 is 18mA so I guees I can try it for the attached schematic:)

Felipe,

You have an interstage transformer that is set for 18mA. Indeed, you can use it like it is written in the schematic. AndyJ is an experienced user. His advise is to use the 4P1L hotter. That means with more current. The reason is in the acoustics. He has found out listening for results over a long time. Now his ears have turned blue :eek:

Go ahead with what you have. If you like it, you can buy another LL1660 that is set for 30mA and enjoy this little tube even a little more.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Felipe,

You have an interstage transformer that is set for 18mA. Indeed, you can use it like it is written in the schematic. AndyJ is an experienced user. His advise is to use the 4P1L hotter. That means with more current. The reason is in the acoustics. He has found out listening for results over a long time. Now his ears have turned blue :eek:

Go ahead with what you have. If you like it, you can buy another LL1660 that is set for 30mA and enjoy this little tube even a little more.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, the truth is that I only have two LL1660/18mA which is what I use - I just happened to have them. They sound alright. It's Ale who says 4P1Ls sound better at 25mA - I haven't heard that in the input section. I use the 4P1L at over 30mA in the output of my PSE amp, of course. So yes, Filipe - go ahead.