4inch fostex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joe and really anyone using an extended range driver,

Yes, if you can, test before you commit to baffle step correction. I know it is a religion with some around this forum, but I am still skeptical. And 2 kHz is too far away from the crossover frequency, but you do not want to be hearing all that much from your woofers at 1 to 2 kHz. The reason for using the extended range driver is its sound quality from mid bass up.

How much power do you need for this system? MCM has some close out deals right now on about 50 watt plate amps for $30 each. Only second order as stock, but fairly easy to add a third fixed pole.

Best,

Mark

Josephjcole said:

I hadn't figured for the cost of a couple of 2cnd order crossovers at 180hz... :smash: ouch! I make my living through pottery, and I get by, but I'm not sure I can swing that right now.... the plate amp looks comparable in price. What about pushing the cross-over up higher? It would be cheaper and certainly allow for higher power handling (not that I need it), I don't know.... maybe there is no cheap way out of it.

Joe

How much does a 180Hz passive crossover cost? What if you don't like it? For $50.00 you can put a dsp crossover to work in your computer and test alot of crossover configurations in your loudspeaker before ordering passive components. And there might already be a suitable soundcard in your computer! With a two-channel amplifier you can bi-amp a two-way loudspeaker for testing purposes.
Baffle step correction will be easy to test, set up a parametric eq with a shelf and turn the knobs while listening to music.

See the thread on crossover prototyping >
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41278

Attachments

• bsc.jpg
    bsc.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 190
Dave- thanks for setting me straight, and for having such an informative web page.

bzdang-looks like an interesting program, but I'm on a Mac so I'll probably have to design my cross over the old fashion way.

Mark- I had no idea plate amps could be had so cheap. I'll look into it. Any links or good reads you or anybody else can recomend on desiegning active crossovers? For $60 dollars a pair bi-amping has a whole new appeal.

Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.