400 watts rms 8ohms audio amp design...help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah - it's a sweeping generalization, but IMO, $200 PA amps are pieces of .... Ones worth buying are more like a grand. $200 buys a 500VA trafo, four outputs per channel, and very little heat sinking. You may as well use an old Phase Linear and put a fan on it.

wg_ski said:
Yeah - it's a sweeping generalization, but IMO, $200 PA amps are pieces of .... Ones worth buying are more like a grand. $200 buys a 500VA trafo, four outputs per channel, and very little heat sinking. You may as well use an old Phase Linear and put a fan on it.

:bawling: That's funny! Honestly, however, I have to second the pro amp suggestion here all things considered. I wouldn't buy a Gem Sound, American AUdio or Phonic DJ amp but something like a Crown XLS, Samson Servo, Peavy IPR, QSC GX3, Tapco J-1400, or even a Behringer. will probably outperform anything you can build for the same money. All those companies have amps at $200 - $300 US. You can buy them used on eBay for even less.

Another choice is to buy some amp modules like I suggested a long time ago in this thread and bridge them. But you still need power supply caps, bridge, a chassis, heatsink, protection circuits, connectors, perhaps a fan, etc. And things get more complicated if you want balanced inputs, level controls, clipping indicators, high temp shutdown, etc. And, worst of all, bridged into 4 ohms for PA use, it probably *will* blow up. And then you have wasted lots of money.

With the pro amp you get it all the goodies, a warranty, probably more power, and save lots of time and headaches. The cheap pro amps can't match the expensive ones, but they will still probably outperform what you could build yourself for the same money.

I think 1kg per 100 W is a very handy rule of thumb that works suprisingly well for toroids:

160 VA 225 VA 330 VA 450 VA
ca. 1,70 kg ca. 2,00 kg ca. 3,40 kg ca. 3,90 kg

The error is generally within 15%.

A good estimate if no rating is on the toroid.

Have fun, Hannes

EDIT: for other cores it might be similar, but I couldn't find data quickly.

what is worth of buying.. I want is the passion like an painting artist... besides some Amp which sold in the market are not suited here in my country because of the climate difference with other.. I notice one that we use here one time outdoor is gone to smoke together with speaker...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.