4 X Lambda JWS300 24v 14A SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just manged to pick up 4 X Lambda JWS300 24v 14A SMPS from a second hand shop that had been clearing out a warehouse. I paid $50 Australian. They are brand new. I have been playing around with the Sure Electronics 4x100w D class module and I'm thinking of making up a few more of those utilising these SMPS. Seems a bit of a waste though, what with the hiss/noise the module makes.

I also have 2 x UcD180ST modules ordered and on the way. Could I use these power supplies to power the Hypex modules? I'm not wanting to electrocute myself though :hot: any ideas?

I found the manual for them online and there is a diagram for wiring them up in either series or parallel.

http://pix.minirig.org.au/main.php?g2_itemId=181

I'm thinking of putting 2 of them in a computer mini-ITX case with a couple of UcD180 modules. I'm wondering if the 336W 14A will be enough? Looks like the voltage will be ample.

Iv'e been testing one on a Sure-Electronics 4*100w 4ohm module all weekend, it sounds surprisingly good, better than the Meanwell 340w 14.6A SMPS. I guess that the components used to make the Lambda are better quality. Looking at the photos it looks very well made.

Would I need to use any electrolyte caps on the output?

Finally got some time to play and hooked two of the Lambda up in series today and yep 48.2v :D . Have ordered 4 x UcD180ST and have been quoted $100 for 2 x custom built Aluminum boxes. This is going to be fun ;) SMPS/ClassD bang4buck! If anyone has any suggestions on mods please let me know.

Had a look at the preliminary documentation on the SMPS180 from Hypex. Thats awesome! Just slightly different from my Lambda's :bigeyes: I can't complain though for $12.50 I have to make use of them. Thats the DIY spirit isn't it?

Updates to follow.

Just tried to connect the Lambdas to the UcD180 modules. The blue lights come on but I can't get any output from the speakers. I have 48v+ going to the + input on the UcD180 modules and 48v- going to the - input, the molex mute pin is going to the GND pin. Do I need to connect the GND pin to anything else?

Iv'e been searching through all the forums here but can't find any mention of how to actually connect up a Hypex UcD module to a SMPS.

Did you use two of them and connected the negative output to the negative input of the UcD and the same for the positive, or did you string up 4 of them and also connected the middle node to GND on the UcD and chassis?

The UcD wants both plus AND minus 30-50V of voltage referenced to GND.

Did you use two of them and connected the negative output to the negative input of the UcD and the same for the positive, or did you string up 4 of them and also connected the middle node to GND on the UcD and chassis?

The UcD wants both plus AND minus 30-50V of voltage referenced to GND.

I connected two of them together in series which gave me + and - 48v which I connected to the negative and positive inputs on the UcD, which was enough to make the blue light come on but I had nothing to connect to the ground pin on the UcD.

You'll need to do something like this:

(+)--|SMPS|--|SMPS|--(GND)--|SMPS|--|SMPS|--(-)

To explain my diagram, you series connect the four SMPSes. Your GND connection is taken from the center node, connecting SMPS #2 and #3.

Voltage will then read +/- 48V relative to the GND node, and 96V end-to-end.

Connect to positive terminal from one end SMPS (the one who's positive terminal does not series to another SMPS) to the + terminal of the UCD module, the negative from the other end to the - terminal of the UCD, and finally the center node/connection to the GND terminal on the UCD.

The GND terminal on the UCD MUST be connected for proper operation, and the + and - voltages should be of equal magnitudes relative to GND.

Yes, you need 4 SMPSes to power the UCDs.

I was hoping to make up 2 amps using 2 lambda's in each. 4 for one is just a little too big to be comfortable.

Have just ordered a nice 300VA 2x30v encapsulated toroidal from RS and got some nice Nichicon gold tune 10000uf 63v caps.

Will revisit SMPS land when the Hypex SMPS180 becomes available.

As for the Lambdas they are going up for auction in Ebay.

These Lambda's would be great for powering a 24-28v amp module that doesn't require +/- and gnd.

I tried it on my SureElectronics 4*100 and it sounded great. If it wasn't for the hiss/white noise on those modules I would buy some more.

Don't feel up to soldering all the components in a 41hz.com kit. Does anyone know of a similar 26v amp module that doesn't require heaps of soldering work that is around $100?

BTW if anyone wants one of the Lambda JWS300:

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZcolren02

Hi Angchuck,

Yeah, I thought about dialing up the voltage to 28v. Think I prefer to sell 2 of them and cover the cost of a 300VA 2x30v toroidal + bridge rectifier and caps instead. I will hang on to the other 2 in case a quieter 26v amp module comes along (or my soldering skills progress to the level where I am confident to have a go at a 41hz kit).

Try connecting the 4 SMPS in series as described and fed the 4 UCD modules with them. The trick is to connect the earth wire only on the PSU whose ground is at 0V. The cases should not touch between themselves or anything either.

This system is going to be more stable and poweful than what you get with the toroids and capacitors (stone age).

Hi Eva,

I actually gave up on trying to power UcD modules, as the enclosure ended up being hideously too large accommodating the PSUs. I sold two of the JWS300s on Ebay and I am using the others single ended to power a 41hz amp9-basic. which still take up quite a bit of space in a 2U rack unit but they work fine, heaps of power.

col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.