4 x 5” FR� flat array ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...loudspeakers&usg=AOvVaw2n-Z2LqGkdtRY_tO_BG7ti

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ing-speaker/&usg=AOvVaw0dil_eohWMzrph3EHSrOju

Sale!!! Birch Acoustics Raven Fullrange Speaker - Silver Flute Edition For Sale - Canuck Audio Mart

“This is a special version of the Raven speaker that uses the Silver Flute fullrange driver. The Silver Flute driver has a unique wool cone composition that gives a very pleasing sound. This driver is excellent with its tone; it has a very smooth response and a gentle blending of the bass, midrange, and treble when correctly implemented. We have always liked the Silver Flute and have thought about building a speaker around it. Now that we have, we knew it was too good to keep to ourselves and are thrilled to offer it to discerning audio buffs. The sound; price to performance; and quality of this Silver Flute Edition will absolutely floor you. But act fast, there are only a small number that have been built and they will go quickly.

Raven description:

The Raven is 767 rings of birch wood; machined into a stiff, light enclosure that compliments its quad of filterless fullrange drivers. The multiplying of drivers greatly increases efficiency and decreases distortion. The quad of drivers launch larger cylindrical waves which are more impactful and dynamic. The Raven is best suited to larger rooms or owners with a desire for large crescendos of music.

Specs:

Drivers: Quad 5” Fullrange Wool/Paper
Response: 40Hz-18KHz
Sensitivity: 94db @ 1 W
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Dimensions: H W D 42” 9” 12”

All speakers come with a 40 day money back guarantee policy. It's easy listening knowing that if these are not to your taste, or don't play well with your room or other equipment, you can return them for a full refund.

Also feel free to ask any questions, we are happy to help!

BirchAcoustics.com”

I’m not really sure what to make of this.
I see the angle so there is less combing at listening spot ? like slightly bottom of concave array ?

For me, an 8” at 7’ = 1 pair of ears, 12’ = 2 people on a couch.

A 3” at 7’ can cover a couch.

So based on that, a 5” can cover a couch at 12’ just fine ?

Attachments

• birch acoustics raven 1.jpg
    birch acoustics raven 1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 442
  • birch acoustics raven 2.jpg
    birch acoustics raven 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AFAIK Silver Flute is a Madiosunf House Brand, and they only show woofers. We use the W14 (which is what they look like they could be using)

Silver Flute W14RC25-04 ohm 5-1/2" Wool Cone

W14RC25-04.png

Better top end than some FRs (CHP70.2, FE208e∑, BOFU) and the 5db bump in the 4-8k octave will make them appear to have better top than they do.

They are not closely spaced here and such a large driver will have more combing.

And i a not a fan of translams cabinet sat all.

We are VERY pleased with this driver as a helper woofer and we use it in Tysen V2 as well as a few other applications.

A kick-*** bass driver IMO (and dirt cheap — the drivers for Raven will cost less than $200 USD/pr. I may have enuff drivers to mimic this array (only worthwhile shipping in Canada).

dave

Having tried a few 5" full range drivers, they often start to fall around 8kHz. Add that the combing of the huge space between the c-2-c of 5" drivers (mitigated with distance.... needing pretty far! No wonder they mention they would be good in larger rooms)
Also, the second you move your head outside of the line, highs will drop like a brick.

I'm not a fan of translam when going this size either. There's a LOT of scrap pieces and waste. Really not carbon neutral in this day and age!

So, if you have a movie theater sized room, they might be ok.
But hey, they have a 40-day trial. :)

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...loudspeakers&usg=AOvVaw2n-Z2LqGkdtRY_tO_BG7ti

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ing-speaker/&usg=AOvVaw0dil_eohWMzrph3EHSrOju

Sale!!! Birch Acoustics Raven Fullrange Speaker - Silver Flute Edition For Sale - Canuck Audio Mart

“This is a special version of the Raven speaker that uses the Silver Flute fullrange driver. The Silver Flute driver has a unique wool cone composition that gives a very pleasing sound. This driver is excellent with its tone; it has a very smooth response and a gentle blending of the bass, midrange, and treble when correctly implemented. We have always liked the Silver Flute and have thought about building a speaker around it. Now that we have, we knew it was too good to keep to ourselves and are thrilled to offer it to discerning audio buffs. The sound; price to performance; and quality of this Silver Flute Edition will absolutely floor you. But act fast, there are only a small number that have been built and they will go quickly.

Raven description:

The Raven is 767 rings of birch wood; machined into a stiff, light enclosure that compliments its quad of filterless fullrange drivers. The multiplying of drivers greatly increases efficiency and decreases distortion. The quad of drivers launch larger cylindrical waves which are more impactful and dynamic. The Raven is best suited to larger rooms or owners with a desire for large crescendos of music.

Specs:

Drivers: Quad 5” Fullrange Wool/Paper
Response: 40Hz-18KHz
Sensitivity: 94db @ 1 W
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Dimensions: H W D 42” 9” 12”

All speakers come with a 40 day money back guarantee policy. It's easy listening knowing that if these are not to your taste, or don't play well with your room or other equipment, you can return them for a full refund.

Also feel free to ask any questions, we are happy to help!

BirchAcoustics.com”

I’m not really sure what to make of this.
I see the angle so there is less combing at listening spot ? like slightly bottom of concave array ?

For me, an 8” at 7’ = 1 pair of ears, 12’ = 2 people on a couch.

A 3” at 7’ can cover a couch.

So based on that, a 5” can cover a couch at 12’ just fine ?

It looks to me like this speaker desperately needs tweeter.

yea, that lift (in the silver flute) would help reduce combing up there, but still, not much past 8khz.

True, i didn't think the silver flute cone's surround attachment had that odd shape.

Seems to me, a w5-2143 could be an option, a pricy one ($78), but an option.
yikes, that peerless is $91. looks nice though, copper cap, neo motor, not much frame behind cone, probably a better option though.

Ug, prices are growing faster than I'd like...……………..

The short-lived Birch Acoustics (they were only around about 2 years & vanished some time ago) mostly used the Vifa NE149 midbass as a wideband unit for their handful of models; they evidently decided to do a cheaper version with the 8ohm Silver Flute (also a midbass, with less HF extension). Can't comment on the tilt-back effect, although it probably helps a touch, but the SF is about 18dB down at 18KHz even before destructive interference is factored in, so the stated spec. is a little 'ambitious', although technically correct insofar as they didn't appear to have stated any dB values for the frequency extremes.

Very quick and (very) dirty simulation of drivers with that distance between them. Driver model used in sim is actually more optimal than the real thing will be.
Modeled the position of the drivers from importing the image in into cad and decipher the distances. I did not bend it backwards though.

attachment.php

Not something I would try to live with...

Attachments

• Birch 4x line Six-pack.png
    Birch 4x line Six-pack.png
    340 KB · Views: 478
I bet the angled baffle has a sweet listening spot where they all arrive at the same time (no combing).
You could pink noise it..............

How many feet back and how high off the ground, that would be really nice to know.

Pretty, would nice for some baffle step compensation, maybe charge extra, or some circuits 1-6db in manual.

The vifa 5.5" Ne149 looks good except that peak 6-7k, miniscus has some, then unobtanium maybe ?
8 at miniscus runs $740 before tax/shipping, eek

Last edited:
That would be much like moving to the center of the array (except for floor/ceiling mirror effects) and would look something like this:

attachment.php

It can't solve all the combing but it does look more promising, as long as your head is locked as to not being able to move in the vertical plane ;).
A very narrow sweet spot, if one has more than one listener, be sure to adjust their height with pillows :D.
(it still has no top end, it's almost Bose like: No highs, no lows... it must be ....)

Attachments

• 4 driver array Six-packa.png
    4 driver array Six-packa.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
I bet the angled baffle has a sweet listening spot where they all arrive at the same time (no combing).
You could pink noise it..............

How many feet back and how high off the ground, that would be really nice to know.

You have something like this in mind I guess:

attachment.php

As can be seen, one can figure out the dimensions with the right (parametric) program.

The middle two drivers are on the circle of 3M (assumed listening distance).
Both other top and bottom drivers deviate just a little bit.

attachment.php

The result of that still shows a large dip just past 10K, but we can fix that by shading the top and bottom driver...
(See that the results are a spitting image of the straight array with the listening position in the center?)

attachment.php

attachment.php

The shading schematic used for the results above (note: not the right driver, but to get a quick idea ;))

Driver layout:

attachment.php

There... the design is all done :D. Just add a bit of EQ to taste...

Attachments

• 4-driver-array-bend.png
    4-driver-array-bend.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 4 driver array Six-packb.png
    4 driver array Six-packb.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 4 driver array XO-schema-1.png
    4 driver array XO-schema-1.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 4 driver array Six-packb1.png
    4 driver array Six-packb1.png