4-way Dipole speaker.

rich31td

2011-06-21 5:58 pm
Kent
I recently finished a 3-way dipole speaker using a single Peerless XLS10 woofer in a 30cm deep H-frame, a 8" Seas L22RNX/P midrange and 10"Dayton WG loaded compression driver.

I am now moving on to a 4-way using, I managed to get another pair Peerless woofers so plan to mount them in a 45cm deep double woofer H-frame and cross over to the same Seas unit but with the addition of a Scanspeak 10F mid range and either a 19mm or 25mm tweeter.

I thought I would try and mimic another well know design but using different drivers and MiniDSP.
Below is how edge plots the design.

[IMGDEAD]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4185/lx521.jpg[/IMGDEAD]

rich31td

Kent
Well I have already drawn it out on a bit of 18mm MDF ready for cutting.

I am using the ABC-Dipole design spreadsheet to work out the EQ but will have to wait to make some measurements when they baffle is built.

I have a Quad 520 amp to power the 4 woofers, it should provide 150watts /ch into 4ohm.

rich31td

Kent
I do like it, It looks more interesting than a plank of wood which I have at the moment.
It kind of breaks the speaker up and looks less imposing, in my opinion.

I would have attempted the Nao Note II RS but it looks to complicated to make where as the LX521 is made up of straight cuts which I can cut with a hand held electric jigsaw, I hope.

rich31td

Kent
Thanks John, thankfully I can get hold of either in the UK fairly easily.

I have decided on an 18" deep H-frame with two XLS woofers in each with a crossover to the midrange at 120Hz.

There isn't any problem in mixing driver materials i.e aluminum lower midrange with a fiberglass upper midrange?

I would have attempted the Nao Note II RS but it looks to complicated to make where as the LX521 is made up of straight cuts which I can cut with a hand held electric jigsaw, I hope.

I see the LX521 as just as complex, if not more so... and quite a lot more $$$

Also, while I'm lucky with WAF, the aesthetics of the LX521 is a step too far in my house :)