4 way design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The more insightful approach is choosing the drivers, their position in space
and the crossover net .
:cool:

As the crossover is very importatnt, it's the real heart of the LS, and often behind an easy design (by the outside) you'll see a complex work .

So instead of buying drivers only...buy coils and caps .
Also resistors ...;)

Those two posts. You want two completely different drivers covering the same range, you want to use two tweeters and cross them at a very high frequency, you already have your crossover points figured out. Anyways, if you know what you're doing then by all means design yourself the speaker you want....

It is an unconventional approach but not unique. When using an inexpensive speaker like the SB mid-woofer there may be variations in response that are not represented on a chart. Using speakers with different inherent characteristics tends to minimize and smooth any resonances or nuances. For $30 a piece for the Silver Flutes, I can put them in a vented box for another project if they don't work out. Not a big deal.
I don't have the crossover points 'figured out' they are only generalized as one can tell by the ~. That's a reasonable approach.
Not saying this will be the final design, it is an experiment. A lot of the final design will be empirical using test equipment to quantify the results.
You said, "...Your plan is completely flawed from the start..."
I don't believe that what you have pointed out substantiates that assertion.

I've looked at the design I mentioned -AR 10 p revisited- and both the original woofer and the (new) 10" have a resistor before the crossover net :eek::rolleyes:
guess... the choice of a high Qm speaker that permits to adapt the response
in this case also a resistance in parallel helps in lowering (Qt ...? ) and the relative highpass with the 5-10 l enclosure, ok it's not very clear :rolleyes:

So I would look toward the Pro department.
And choose the dome mid and tw.
The (sub) woofer already has a chamber .
Try what happens with a resistance in series .

I can't tell if you know what you are doing or not but I would really like to know how you came up to this selection of drivers and design.
The basic plan was inspired by the AR LST design. I heard a pair of these at an AR exhibition around 1975 or so and they sounded incredible.
I chose the SB 12" woofer because it looked good on paper and fit really well with a sealed box design. The SB 12" woofers don't stay clean very much past 300 ~ 400 hz and I very much want to use dome midranges because a good dome midrange has very good presence and off axis response.
The Morel dome midranges don't go down to 400 hz well so I suspect I will need something to fill in that hole. The SB mid-woofers should do that.
Silk dome tweeters are smooth and pleasant, again with good off axis response.

The LST crossed over at 5khz too so nothing unusual about doing that.

Each design is ...peculiar !?!

The chamber has wrong dimensions, as the near panel is too reflective.
So if you stuff it and try with a 1-2Ω resistor you should raise or lower some factor :confused::rolleyes:

Try with 3rd order. I see that Le of the SB woofer is 1.2 mH, so it must be calculated as part of the filter :confused::rolleyes:

So about 5-6 mH and 2.5 mH for a start ...some 100 uF caps...

Also a 10 " pro mid-wf

Are you suggesting the 10" mid woofer with a parallel resistor in place of the 12"?
Yes a resistor would definitely lower the Q.
That said, I prefer to have the speakers inherent characteristics define the response rather than trying to electrically alter it to try and make it work outside it's frequency range.
Bose was great at that but I never liked them.

But...nowadays you don't see them often.
My steps into DIY happened when a tweeter of the Allisons departed.
I acquired a pair of Infinity RS 4000, then another tweeter departed
(bad distortion from clipping ).
But that happened after I blew the midranges when I played them fullrange :rolleyes:
So first lesson learned ....Then I replaced all the drivers -after the foam died-
and so on .
Guess... today I was listening with Canton bookshelves ;)
From you tube :eek:
So I'm not in the mood for multi-multi-multi way :eek:
Just some honest, 'present' sound

I've designed a 4-way speaker. 1 x 15" (REAL) Subwoofer + 1 x 12" Woofer, + 1 x 8" Midrange, + 1 x Tweeter + 1 x Super Tweeter per Speaker Cabinet.

With all the Real Subwoofer builds here, Why hasn't anybody designed a 4-way speaker (anything) like above?

Why not?

MLStrand56

Last edited:
probably great woofer
and most likely need a very big closed box

new SB Satori tweeter looks great too

only missing a good midrange :scratch2: :rolleyes:

The SB 12" needs about 4.5 cu.ft for a sealed box. So far I am quite happy with their low end response.
I have another SB 12" in a box that I did not post that is stuffed and all.
Having fun experimenting with this stuff in my semi-retirement.
Have you seen the Satori mid-woofer? It looks like it can handle up to ~2khz, likely high enough to cross a Satori tweeter but no published distortion spec charts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.