4 large dual woofer speakers

I just picked up 4 of these dual woofer 3 way speakers. They were probably custom built in the 1970, they big and heavy. I've have been fixing the crossovers that fell apart over time.

The midrange and tweeters appear to be good quality and are mounted on top with speaker cloth covering the front and sides. The rear ported cabinets are approximal 3.3 cf with 2 10" woofers that I guess are Eminence. The internals have some unique braces and a quasi labyrinth design.

Any suggestions on how to get a better response curve?

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2865.jpg
    IMG_2865.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 154
  • mid.jpg
    mid.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 156
  • tweeter.jpg
    tweeter.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 152
  • crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Big speaker REW file.jpg
    Big speaker REW file.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 170
There are some things that can be tried.
It looks like the Mid is mounted horizontally to the side of the tweeter, and also higher up.
And that they both are 15-20 cm back from the flat top enclosure edge?
Also the tweeter is offset forward of the mid quite a bit.

Without altering anything physically, and without more info.
That 2-3,5k 5-6 db peak might be quite noticeable, high likelyhood of being diffraction related.
Foam or felt on the top of the enclosure, from the top panel up to the tweeter.
Something covering that mounting " beam thing" going from the mid forward to the tweeter.
Foam covering below the mid, maybe some behind on the bare surfaces.
Can also try a combo with felt on the surfaces and foam pieces.
Some more acoustical resistance in front of the drivers would also knock more of the top octave a little down.

You can read up on it with searching on here.
As long as you have the capability of measuring.
And look other places like:
https://audioxpress.com/article/Diffraction-Doesn-t-Have-to-Be-a-Problem

For a transformation, a top baffle / enclosure for the mid / tweeter in a vertical configuration is a better solution in just about any case.
But also requires you to rebuild, make a new xo, invest time/money etc.

Looks ported, if the bass tuning is responsible for some of the 40-90 hz peak, it can be altered by changing the ports.

Something more then a basic frequency response measurement might be needed for better advice.

Driver parameters?
Enclosure parameters/dimensions and port?
Measurements of impedance?
Measurements of the individual drivers, summed , port etc?
Off axis measurements to some degree at least?
That would make it easier for someone to assist.

well, for integration, running a cat378 (morel horn loaded dome) with a wide open eminence b102, the tweeter was maybe 2" set back from the front of the woofer.

I'd thought that on a 6db crossover, the cap on the tweet seems to move the tweet forward, while an inductor on the woof seems to move the driver backwards, which would require more offset than simply lining up the drivers' centers......

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

The design looks really strange. How does it sound, overall ?
I think the first step is to measure all drivers, also for distortion and buzzing noises from age etc.
Then bring cross overs to spec. However fr. response is not that bad for such an old speaker.
Perhaps one of solutions is to use DSP to equalize fr. response, then check if that really improves the result sonically.
It's not always so that frequency response measured on axis is decisive, and is not clear what designers of this interesting collection of chambers have had in mind.

Regards

Thanks for all the responses.
The photos show how dusty the mid and tweeter areas are. That dust must be an accumulation of 50 years. I bought it from an estate and the house had orange shag carpet. Flash back to my parents house!

I bought 2 ten inch woofers after receiving advice from Simply Speakers. They are 4 Ohm rating that I wired in series so they should be 8 Ohm now. I ran the REW frequency test and not much difference below 300Hz. There is a L-Pad for the tweeter and I made some test with that. If I turn it down, the peak at 2000Hz flattens out significantly. But what is bugging me is the 10 db peak in the bass area. Below is the REW frequency response with the new woofers installed yesterday. Maybe I'll try plugging the 2 back ports and stuff the cabinet. The top 3 curves were at 3 different L-Pad settings. I can tweak it to make the 2000Hz peak less a problem. I'll try laying down some padding round the mid and tweeter to reduce the defraction.

The bottom one is with the old Eminence woofers.

Also, I worked on cleaning up the crossover. I was able to wind the inductors, zip tie, and coat them with polyurethane so they never unwind again. I hot glued them to the backing board. I will try and draw a schematic but I have no clue what value the inductors are. I tried one of the off-the-shelf 3 way cross over but the REW results were similar.

Attachments

• Big speaker 4-23-2024.jpg
    Big speaker 4-23-2024.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Cross over.jpg
    Cross over.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: 1 user