4-5,25inch auto speakers suited for indoor use in enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive read that carspeakers are designed for infinite baffle. Do anyone know of 4-5,25 in coaxial autospeakers suited for mounting in a box for hifi use in a 2,1 system. Has to be current models

I ask cause carspeakers are often dirt cheap and I need the protection cover for my application.
They need to play down to 100 hz zero db down or close.
Volume has to be reasonable for musiclitening in sometimes larger rooms
Any suggestions? Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't think what you want it possible but more details will be needed to know exactly what you need.

Is this large room a workshop where you will simply be needing it to be heard across a room. Or is this a DJ type situation? Something in-between, maybe a PA system mainly used for voice and background music the rest of the time.

Do they have to be small speakers or are you wanting to use them for budgetary reasons?

It's very unlikely that you'll get anything remotely close to a flat response (compared to the rest of the spectrum for the speakers), down to 100Hz. It's not likely that you'll miss it much. It's very likely, unless you have some sort of specialized sub (bandpass with a high gain for the lowest of frequencies...) that you'll need the smaller speakers to go that low.

A car speaker wont have any baffle step correction (BSC) built in because it doesn't need any - BUT, if the enclosure is going to be placed on the floor, you will probably be ok.
I used to have a Makita site radio and the difference in low frequency response from in the corner of a room compared to up on a ladder was absolutely massive.

Cheap car speakers usually have a weak magnet, that actually produce more midbass than one with a more powerful magnet (Higher QTC). I've got my old Toyota Auris speaker sat here right next to me and they have the smallest magnet i've ever seen on a driver that size. They actually have a large bump at 100hz but nothing much below that.

Too many variables (actual sub, actual 4" speakers, environment, music...).

Would 6x9s in standard/generic 6x9 carpeted enclosures be too large? Sometimes (you'll have to go listen to them) Pioneer and other Japanese manufacturers accidentally make some good sounding models. I say accidentally because what they generally make sound awful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.