• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

3c24 preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The HF driving ability of 841 is very poor at "strong" -few ten kOhms- next stage load. At stronger load the upper -3dB would be even at 20kHz.

I regularly use this tube with CCS or "gyrator" anode load (-1dB at about 30kHz), but the next stage's impedance ( especially at HF) would be a problem. If I use it with 10Y CF, the -1dB point is at about 60kHz (with SiC source follower at 65kHz).

The HF driving ability of 841 is very poor at "strong" -few ten kOhms- next stage load.
If you use the 841 with +8- 10mA anode load in a hybrid mu-follower (aka gyrator load) the high ra won’t be a problem and the stage has enough push pull current capability to avoid any slew rate distortion at HF

CCS load will make the stage a simple common cathode amp so won’t work well as you stated above
Ale

Well, I am going to optimize my 300B PP driver stage first. Currently I run eml20 into an Monolith ITa-2 IT PP in LTP. To be perfectly honest, I am not yet happy with its performance/sound. So, I am looking into different tubes, which allow me to stay with one stage and offer me more transparency...Maybe I stay with an IT, maybe Anode Choke with CAP, maybe a Gyrator...we ll make it work, but first the tube needs to have the right transparency and "voice". And TT tubes seem to give this...I have four 801A running in my DAC.

Potential candidates as well: 801A (with input Transformer), 812A, T20...if you want, I can give you the curves of these as well...but do not want to hijack this thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.