300B headphone Amplifier Build

Today I finished off my 300B Headphone amplifier, a scratch build of the Transcendent Masterpiece preamp.

No output transformers involved of course. B+ uses a Maida regulator and I have DHT specific filament supplies and it is absolutely quiet. I have two outputs, one for my 600ohm BeyerDynamic headphones with a plastic film output cap and the other with a Nichicon FG electrolytic for 32ohm headphones.

I'm Listening to it at the moment with input from one of my DSD decoders - native DSD256 recording of guitar and violin pieces - and it sounds superb.

47C9Ceb.jpg

dRnxYKh.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
It looks superb too.
Thanks.
Isnt that the 300B a speaker tube and way too powerful for headphone duties? Wouldn't a 45 be a better power match?
It's just a tube, it has no idea whether it is driving speakers or headphones, it is the implemetation that matters and the Transcendent Masterpiece preamp that it is based on is an excellent implementation.
Any reason you went OTL?
I've had very positive experiences with other Transcendent OTL builds.
Any idea of the output impedance on your two outputs?
https://www.transcendentsound.com/masterpiece.html

The only thing I wondered about this amp is it has a lot of feedback doesn't it? It still sounds fast with good dynamics??
As I said above it sounds superb and it's still my goto HPA. I learnt long ago that 'established truths' aren't necessarily true and that stereotypes and preconceptions get in the way so I really wouldn't worry about the fact that it uses feedback.

Sweet Jesus @nautibuoy that is what we call in Shropshire a 'Beast'. I name thee Behemoth. Those PSVane 300Bs are incredible.

I originally thought the whole thing was one box but see the DSD is the bottom enclosure, those are nice cases, I have seen them on Aliexpress.
This is an OTL right? The original Masterpiece is only $699 with no tubes, highly regarded by the looks.

Inside my bones I might have a tube headamp brewing but have no experience, only with sand. My audio chain has moved entirely to balanced lately, this could be built with Kevin Gilmore's tube Ubaltobal boards (SE to Bal converter with 6922) so is possible but I guess makes it a different font end topology. Someone I know has a fine pair of NOS Philips blue JAN ECC82 I have my eye on.

Or- another pair of amp boards for +/- phases each channel straight from Balanced source, but gets expensive then with matched quads!

Are your Beyers DT1990s? Very good phones them. Had a pair for a while but went back to Focal Elears, try them if you get a get chance on a good deal, stunning mate.

(think you bought a Meldano Muses kit from me or something once, I have another balanced kit to build, hopefully the MCU is not DOA again)

Last edited:
I'll takethe 'Beast cooment as a compliment - thanks.

The DSD decoder is balanced output but I use Lundahl transformers for balanced to SE conversion on its outputs - could also use XLR to RCA interconnects - I see no need to change the Masterpiece into something else.

I have BeyerDynamic DT889s and they're very good and I still use them but I now mostly use HiFiMan Sundaras.