$300 TH-50 Knockoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
l.jpg

Here's one with a custom finish

I've taken a guess at the inside structure of the Danley TH50. Can anyone comment on it and possibly tweak it? I have a SWR1522D and am willing to try this build.

th501_zps8dd94387.jpg

We need to know the full length of the horn before its folded and if it starts at 2" and ends at 14".
Another help would be if someone has the exact dimensions of the driver opening.

Plans for this project are at post 21 but this is no Danley clone.

This popping up got me interested... First off, the MTX driver is available again. Secondly, I've simmed a bunch of drivers and this is indeed a very forgiving design in terms of driver selection. I have not had a bad sim yet. Right now I am doing some dumpster diving and hope to find a player. Right now seeing 15 type S for just over $100. Also found some Alpine 10SD for $44 shipped.

Plans for this project are at post 21 but this is no Danley clone.

This popping up got me interested... First off, the MTX driver is available again. Secondly, I've simmed a bunch of drivers and this is indeed a very forgiving design in terms of driver selection. I have not had a bad sim yet. Right now I am doing some dumpster diving and hope to find a player. Right now seeing 15 type S for just over $100. Also found some Alpine 10SD for $44 shipped.

I'm using the Alpine Type S at the moment

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's the TH-50

IMG_20160410_105652.jpg

Here's my box. It's way way smaller. I'm basically sacrificing output and smoothness for box size. The "real" TH-50 will be louder, smoother and bigger.

Here's the thread: Maximum Bass for $1000 - Subwoofers / Enclosures - SMD Forum

So I'd be the guinea pig... I think so far the best sim I did was a pair of Alpine 10's (Alpine SWS-10D4). Pairs on the bay for $150. Was hoping to find a pair under $100 and keep the project under $200 but emails were not returned.

Can anyone generate a cutsheet for it? I am guessing 1 1/2 sheets 4x8.

Attachments

• TH50Alpine10s.png
    TH50Alpine10s.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 178
So I'd be the guinea pig... I think so far the best sim I did was a pair of Alpine 10's (Alpine SWS-10D4). Pairs on the bay for $150. Was hoping to find a pair under $100 and keep the project under $200 but emails were not returned.

Can anyone generate a cutsheet for it? I am guessing 1 1/2 sheets 4x8.

is that based off of patrick's hornresp design or the th50? if it's from patricks design, tb46 posted a drawing for it, one in post 21, and then another a few posts or so after that.
i came up with something along these lines. 2pi sim, vc's series, 2 drivers parallel:

Attachments

• alpine 10s -th50 thread.JPG
    alpine 10s -th50 thread.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 344
Patrick, I really like that design but yep I want lower response for HT. Impressive results! You're right the 15 does work. Black is 15 and grey is the pair of 10s. This design is also really dangerously close to kinda my goal here for PA too. 140db @ 30hz with 4X boxes (single 125db) in a slim cab. Curious if shortening the path with say a 36x36x17 box would do it.

My sim is from post 21. Yes, it is definitely enough for a build but I like those little cutsheets so you can figure out best way to cut and estimate material. Did you use Alpine drivers? That looks even better. Honestly, not sure how to fool with changing VC setups in HR.

Attachments

• 210V15.png
    210V15.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 342
do a search for cutlist generator...free program from years ago...there are other free online tools as well. the sim I posted was for a pair of Alpine sws 10d4s in a 34x45x17" internal box. I have a sim for the 15 on my laptop, I can post it probably sometime this weekend. my enclosure layout is a bit different from Patrick's though.

playing around with VCs in hornresp is more about the inductance imo. as Patrick said before, the box is pretty forgiving of driver parameters etc, I'm thinking of building one for a pair of 12s or even a couple 10s I have laying around.

Following this - I know nothing about horn design but could probably build with a cut sheet and some solid tips! Thanks for the revival!

I know the Danley TH-50's MTX woofer (although the new 2016 box uses a different one apparently) was pricey, but gotta love the flat 21hz - 70hz specs on the TH-50. Any way we can achieve that or close in a similar design using the Alpine mobile drivers?

For my application, I have a huge amount of space where an old projection TV used to live (roughly 55" wide by 60" tall by 26" deep) and I would love to fill with a tapped horn sub. Have an 18" ultimax vented box in there right now but could use more impact, and I miss the horn boxes we used to use for pro audio. So clean and so much bass impact!

This is interesting stuff about inductance. Since you are more familiar with it than I do you have a preference in 4ohm or 2ohm variations? T/S specs are different. Simmed 12's and it was not very good.

While I am a consummate cheap SOB the MTX is only $400... I knew little about horns when I built Art Welter's Keystone and had success. I was hooked ever since. PB is very similar to Art and he tests and provides data proving success. There are plenty of other DIY designs but most lack this credibility. All this being said, no one ever built one of these but things look promising.

my take on how alpine states their inductance... and it may be incorrect as i havent tested the drivers; however i believe inductance to be stated with the voice coils in series. if you were to wire in parallel that should halve impedance and inductance. it may or may not apply here, but just a guy wrote a whitepaper on inductance issues and modeling of drivers, the link escapes me at the moment. perhaps it's more in depth than the simple bits im going over here, but i consider it an informative if not overloooked by the masses read.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.