3-way to 3.5-way conversion

I have a plan to convert my speakers from originally 3-way to 3.5-way system. Each speaker consists of a 0.75" tweeter, a 2" dome midrange, and two 10" woofers.

I use VituixCAD2 for the simulation tool. Let's see the original crossover circuit and its response. Specification of each driver is indicated in the schematic.

original.png

The target of this conversion is to split operating range between two woofers. One woofer, the upper unit, will be responsible for lower midrange and bass, while the other, the lower unit, will cover only for bass of lower than 100Hz region. It's just like the integrated subwoofer concept.

New schematic is shown below.

parameter.png

The plan/concept is to disconnecting lower woofer first, then the SPL on woofers' region will drop, some attenuations on midrange and tweeter may be required. After that, reconnect the lower woofer and build a new crossover for it (L2) along with tweaking original crossover (L1, C1) for the upper woofer.

The problem is I had tried random values for L1, C1, and L2 many times in the simulator, I couldn't achieve the target though. I need advice which directions should be applied to those parameters to achieve the target. Or is my objective achievable by this plan?

Yes, the response is already good. But, it's my desire to add some EQ to them since I found they're too boring (too flat response)--actually, I tried to follow many commercial speakers that has bass boost. Lol

For the compensation, I've already prepared the attenuation circuits for the midrange and tweeter and will applied later after finish the woofer's task.

Interesting idea.
The Devil's Advocate would say, put the EQ outside the speaker where you have more control over it, can even do it line-level (didn't they call this tone controls once?) and maybe will choose a different 'curve' in the future whether because your tastes evolve or because you change the room.

Reactions: 1 user
it is to reduce the bass, not enlarge it.
I’m sorry, but I can’t remember why you suggested to reduce bass. Could you please provide the reasons here again?

I rarely see the commercial speakers reducing their bass but the opposite.

Still, I haven’t succeeded simulating the 3.5 ways system with subwoofer integrated concept. Does anyone have an idea?

Maybe the original post didn’t have much clear explanation. So let me explain the concept here again.

The concept is first disconnecting the lower woofer, the SPL on woofer’s operation will drop from 86dB to 80dB—from dual to single woofer. Then, apply some attenuation circuits to midrange and tweeter to bring them from 86dB to 80dB as well. Next, reconnect the lower woofer to the system and build the low-pass filter for it with a single large inductor (L2). Finally, tweaking the low-pass filter of the upper woofer (L1 and C1) to let it meet the midrange at its old crossover point.

It’s easier said than done really. Lol

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
As I was trying to say earlier, if you base your sensitivity on both woofers doing the bass, which you are going to, you shouldn’t need to change the tweeter or midrange level. You’ll only have to find a way to fix what you change in the upper bass region. Otherwise it will sound different.

Of course if you want to begin the cross from scratch, that’s ok too.

I’ve done many .5 ways (Im a firm believer in the narrow baffle/excellent imaging concept where this helps with baffle step loss) but never through simulation…….my suggestion to you would be to start your path to measurements here. Everything below the Schroeder of your room is likely to be very modal so you’re going to want to visually see what’s going on and in some case unwind your coil some to get where you want to be.